Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am concerned about a persistent sore throat. In the middle

I am concerned about a persistent sore throat. In the middle of April I had a sore throat for about a week, it went away for a day or two then came back and I had it for around 2 weeks until the first week of May. It then went away for about 10 days and returned on 14th May and I've now had it over a week and it has got progressively worse. It starts as a lump in my throat feeling and progresses to inflammation on both sides.I am currently quite stressed and the return of the sore throat has coincided with on and off episodes of diarrhoea and cramping pain. Last bout of diarrhoea was yesterday. Was suggested it could be stress induced IBS.Could stress and by extension IBS be a cause of persistent sore throats?

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

IBS does not cause a sore throat, but acid reflux can.

This happens when the acid trickles up to the pharynx and irritates at night when you are laying down flat on the bed.

Most people with a persistent sore throat and a lump in the throat feeling suffer from silent reflux. Acid reflux is particularly worse during periods of stress.
I will suggest that you start on salt water gargles thrice a day.

Sleep with a head-up tilt of about 30 degrees at night and avoid eating spicy, salted, smoked, and barbecued foods after 6 PM.

You should also take an antacid like Mylanta or Gaviscon, an hour after your meal to reduce the production of acid in the stomach.

These measures should help.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the “Finish with Rating” button or selecting the 5 stars at the top of this page before you leave the website/app.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for the prompt response and advice. With acid reflux is it common to have periods where it eases off and then gets worse again? Once I begin treatment how long normally until I should see an improvement in my throat?

Yes, the symptoms can fluctuate and that suggests that this is acid reflux more strongly.

After you start following the above recommendations, your symptoms should improve significantly within the first 48 to 72 hours.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That makes sense. Thank you again.

You're welcome.

Take good care.