Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I would like to speak to a gastroenterologist, I’m not

I would like to speak to a gastroenterologist
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I’m not taking any medications for it
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Finasteride 5mg morning and Risperidone 0.5mg morning and evening (1mg a day). I am not allergic to any medications
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Good afternoon, I am Dr Elliot, I am a GP, I am not sure we have any Gastroenterologists today, can I help? Or I can leave the question and hopefully someone may answer you in the next few days

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have a problem with bloating and my gp said I just needed to go to the gym which was bad advice! It’s not fat. Would you be able to help with a bloating problem
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I wouldn’t like to phone call

That does indeed sound unusual advice

Sorry - the phone call is automated, I cannot control that, please just don't click it

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thanks

Can I ask your age and sex please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have had a ultrasound scan on my stomach and it’s come up normal
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’m 26 and male

Excellent, thank you. And how long have you had this bloating? and any heartburn symptoms? and have you have any change in your bowels?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I don’t have any change in bowels or any heartburn symptoms. The problem started in 2016 when I was 22/23 I don’t think it is IBS

Do you have any symptoms other than bloating?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No it’s just bloating. And what’s weird about it is that if I hold in my stomach I have a flat stomach. I can attach some pictures if you like?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’m bloated 24/7 even if I haven’t eaten anything

Yes please. Do you refer to bloating as the appearance of your abdomen or how it feels?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It looks and feels bloated all the time
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (TVMP563)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Before
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sorry I mean after I hold in
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (3MLG7GG)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Before (when I relax)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
These pics were 10 seconds apart

Thank you. So this is not bloating as such. This is more likely to be not being overweight, but fat disposition

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What does that mean? How come it’s not bloating

I can see what your GP is getting at, I think the only way you could address this is more likely through targeted exercise.

Bloating is the sensation of a swollen abdomen, not the appearance of a abdomen

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Is it really not bloating? Have you dealt with a similar case before

I am afraid so, this is just due to fat distribution

certainly nothing to be concerned about. If you were to have true bloating with altered bowels then you should have a colonoscopy, but I think it would not be necessary at the moment

It would be wise to let your GP examine you though to check your abdomen is soft and that there are no masses, an ultrasound is useful for checking solid organs but of no use assessing the bowel

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What is the diagnosis? I have a slim body! Arms and legs are slim and shoulders chest etc all slim with no ‘mamboobs’ Does that mean the fat goes into my belly a
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Man boobs

That appears to be correct, yes, you just need to focus your attention to you abdominal muscles and this would reduce this, but my diagnosis is purely on the assumption you would have a normal abdomen on examination

Does this help with your question? If this doesn't reassure you we can ask for another opinion if you like?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
But why, when I relax my stomach, does it feel like my stomach is about to burst
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’m not sure what to think because I barely eat anything

The muscles are holding it in, when you relax the fat moves to a natural position

This is more likely an exercise related issue, we cannot alter our natural fat disposition

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Would liposuction work

I really would not consider liposuction, yes it would target this area, however naturally it will return

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I don’t know what to do then! I exercise enough I would say so I don’t know what I could do besides liposuction...please be honest would liposuction really work

You would need to speak with a plastics surgeon to ask their opinion. I would advise you increase your cardiovascular activity by considering HIT style workouts with a focus on core muscles

Aim to do this for 6-8 weeks, take photos before and after, then decide what you want to do, this is certainly the option I would take

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Is there a diagnosis for this

I am not sure of a medical term for this, but I am sure plastics would have a terminology for it

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Oh I see...so basically all the fat I gain goes to my belly

Yes, hence why you are thin and in good shape elsewhere

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It does actually make sense

It is a predetermined condition due to your genetics, some people find the same problem affects their thighs or their buttocks instead

By all means have another opinion, but I do not think you have anything to be worried about

Please could you kindly rate my answer, this is the only way that I am able to be credited for my replies

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok sure