Medicaldoctor
Medicaldoctor, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/MS
17287913

I had a miscarriage 5 weeks ago exactly, I have yet to have

Hi, I had a miscarriage 5 weeks ago exactly, I have yet to have a period. But when I went to the hospital 5 weeks ago they did a urine test and an internal scan and both came back negative. I have done a urine test today, and it is positive , although online says the HCG levels aren’t in the body after 16 days. So, is this a new pregnancy?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I feel nauseas today, slight back ache and yesterday my ankles got really puffy. Before I had my miscarriage my periods was very regular.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nope

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I shall be consulting you today.

It can take up to 12 to 16 days for HCG to become undetectable after a miscarriage however this depends on how far were you in the pregnancy when you had the miscarriage because in miscarriages that occur later in pregnancy, HCG can remain elevated for up to a month or more.

There are 3 possibilities here.

1- You might be pregnant again

2- You HCG from previous pregnancy is still persisting in your body.

3-An incomplete miscarriage.

Repeat another test after a week if remains positive go for a blood HCG test as it is more accurate.

Let me know if you have any queries

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I was 5/6 weeks along when I miscarried. Does this narrow my current options down?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Options aka possibilities

Yes it does.

You could be pregnant again.

Repeat another test after a week

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thankyou for your help, have a good day

You're welcome

Please do rate this consultation positively by clicking on the stars on top left corner of this thread.

Best wishes