Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have a grinding sensation in my upper abdomen when I have

I have a grinding sensation in my upper abdomen when I have anxiety this pain lingers if I have stopped feeling anxious - is the damage caused to my stomach reversible if I stop the anxiety eventually? I jus want to make sure I don’t cause permanent damage

Good evening, I am Dr Elliot and hope that I can help

The sensation you are referring to is likely to be a form of reflux disease, where acid increases causing pain in the upper abdomen, sometimes in the chest to the throat

Anxiety is a huge trigger for this, so almost certainly if you were to address the anxiety this would stop

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you so much it it has got slightly better but as I keep getting anxious and the grinding is triggered the pain comes back from time to time
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Do u think the damage could be permanent at all?

No not at all, but sometimes asking for a medication like omeprazole to help with the acid would make you feel better. I would however consider addressing your anxiety, either with psychotherapy and/or medication - I am sure you would feel much better if so

Please could I ask that you kindly rate my response, as this is the only way I am rewarded for answering questions, thank you

Customer: replied 14 days ago.