Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

My body is not producing enough sebum how do I get my body

My body is not producing enough sebum how do I get my body to produce more sebum like few years ago

Good evening, I am Dr Elliot and hope that I can help.

Do you develop any rashes over your skin or is it generally dry?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No no rashes
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Just really dry
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My face and my scalp
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
When i take omega 3 fish oil it helps alittle bit
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sorry hi Dr good evening

Thanks, ***** ***** Do you find you gain weight easily? or have to work very hard to lose weight?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ye I do compare to before
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
But am not over weight or anything
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I do a lot of exercise
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My metabolism has slown down compare to few years ago

So one of the main causes of having to work hard to keep weight off and dry skin is hypothyroidism. Therefore I would suggest you arrange some blood tests to check as this is treatable and may resolve these issues. Equally if the test is normal, this does indeed suggest that this is a dermatology problem, and therefore worth considering the cause, could there be a mild type of widespread eczema, psorisis, or even allergy. All three will have different forms of treatment.

Your Gp would be able to arrange a blood test for you and refer you to see a dermatologist if it was then appropriate

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
How come this happened all of sudden I think. cause my skin use to be very oily then I realised that my skin was getting very dry

Good question, however unfortunately without some blood tests and then looking at your skin, I cannot answer at this point

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
it’s been dry for like 5 years now. My Gp did actually check my thyroid once through blood test I don’t think it’s my thyroid

Okay, it would be worth repeating, comparing two thyroid function levels would be useful to determine if there has been a reduction. However it is worth checking iron, b12, folate among a list of others

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok..why do body to stop producing Sebum cause am definitely sure that am lacking sebum
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok I will do another check with my Gp

It is not as straight forward as making the body produce more. It could be a systemic cause. You can however replace it by using a regular emollient, but this will help your skin, but the same problem will return once you stop

However, please do moisturise regularly to help prevent damage to your skin

Please do. See what they say

Please could you kindly rate my response to your answer as this is the only way that I am credited for answering questions. Thank you and good luck with this

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sure I will that..
I have another question I do a lot exercise running and cardio but for the past 6 months I finde it really hard to run I get very tired to the point that I can’t breathe I thought it was fitnes but it’s been 3 months that am constantly running I see no improvement in my fitness where before i train for one week n my fitness would improve I checked with my Gp she gave inhaler she said it’s asthma i tryed that nothing happened

I would check that you are not anaemic and that your iron is normal. This is unlikely to be due to not being conditioned (physically) if you are exercising regularly. If the blood test is normal, then I would suggest investigating asthma. Does the inhaler help at all?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No it didn’t help at all