Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I’ve been trying to get pregnant with my partner for just

Hi, I’ve been trying to get pregnant with my partner for just over a year now and haven’t been successful. Ive been pregnant in the past but had a termination so I’m just a bit worried as to why I haven’t got pregnant again
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: How do you mean?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: My boyfriend has type 1 diabetes but other than that, nothing

Good evening, I am Dr Elliot and hope that I can help

Could you advise me the age of you and your partner please?

Are either of you smokers?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We are both 23 years old and my partner smokes around 3-5 cigarettes a day
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I don’t wish to talk over the phone if that’s ok

Sorry - that is offered every time, I cannot stop it, but I agree this doesn't require a telephone call

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No problem

So for reassurance, a gross statistic is that in couples with completely normal fertility, only 80% will fall pregnant within 2 years of regular unprotected sex, if averaging 3 times per week

However, I think after 12 months of trying, I would consider starting some investigations

The reason for this is that your partner has type 1 diabetes. Your previous termination should not be a problem

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can diabetes cause problems with conception?

Smoking is a large risk factor to reduce fertility and sperm count. I think I would discuss with your partner about arranging a semen analysis test as well as consider quitting smoking

Your GP could arrange this for you both, and would suggest blood test for you and arrange a pelvic ultrasound. However the fact that you fell pregnant once suggests your fertility is normal, and this time taken could be completely normal

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Does it matter how much you smoke to how it affects your fertility? He also did a 96% sperm test kit at home to check his sperm count and motility which came back average

No, I don't think it does, but it is thought to help improve your sperm motility if you were not.

In that case that is very reassuring

I would therefore you discuss with your GP and arrange a pelvic ultrasound and some hormone profile blood tests to help establish that you are ovulating

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Do you think the fact he has diabetes could affect our chance at conceiving?

Yes, theoretically. But his semen analysis is normal so suggests otherwise

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Is there a chance I could just become infertile even though I have been pregnant before?

At your age that is very unlikely

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
If it turns out I’m not ovulating or there is a problem does that mean I can never have a child?

Not at all, so if reduced ovulation then there is medication to induce this, further tests would check that your fallopian tubes are functioning and not stuck. There are huge advances in fertility, but given how long you have been trying, you are not currently describing a fertility problem. Equally the stress of trying to fall pregnant unfortunately makes pregnancy even harder

I would however have a chat with your GP to discuss this and arrange some simple investigations

Is that okay? Or is there anything else you would like to ask?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What could they do if there was something not right with my Fallopian tubes? You’ve been a great help!

They can flush them with fluid to make them patent - but we are talking much more invasive investigations which you are very far away from needing (or ever needing)

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks so much for your help you’ve been so reassuring and I feel much more at ease now. I will contact my doctor as soon as I can to arrange some tests to be on the safe side. Thank you again!

No problem at all. I wish all works out for you both.

Please could you kindly rate my response by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, many thanks

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No problem at all.