Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

Am having issues gaining weight...and i normally eat alot

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: So am having issues gaining weight...and i normally eat alot but am still way too skinny what should i do i have too different things like trying foods that make you gain weight and even exercises
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: but non of them work
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: None that i know of

Good evening, I am Dr Elliot. I hope I can help

Have you started any form of investigation for this?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hii
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am having issues gaining weight
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I i tend to eat all but it doesn't work
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What can i do to gain weight

I will need to ask a few more questions if that is okay, just to get a better understanding of what is happening

What exercise do you do in a typical week?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok

Or how many times per week do you exercise? and what type of exercise do you do?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I do light exercises that people say help to build muscles

Okay thanks. And do you know your current weight and height? and are you male or female?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
50kg...but it keep decreasing and increasing within days
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
5ft 7inch
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
i am a female

Thank you. That is certainly low and I can understand your concern. Have you had any blood tests to investigate causes to low weight?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No

And finally, how long has your low weight been an issue for you? and do you have periods?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Since i can remember
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No i dont have periods

Okay thanks, ***** ***** you ever had periods?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Periods like

Menstrual period

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
i have periods

Okay thank you. I think that should be everything I need to ask.

So, the first thing is that you need to arrange some blood tests. These should be fasting blood tests and the main reason is to look for evidence of impaired glucose tolerance/diabetes, some female hormones, and importantly your thyroid function.

These are all things that could make gaining weight very difficult for you but are all looking for treatable problems.

If those are all normal, then this suggests your weight is normal for you for the lifestyle you have. This is certainly a difficult thing to manage. I would then suggestion you will need a dietician to see you. They would be able to look at your current diet, and advise on certain food groups or supplements that would increase your weight.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

So I think the next best thing to do is to contact your GP next week, and start the process. I am certain they will come to a similar plan as I have above

Please could you kindly rate my response, this is the only way that I am credited for answering questions, thank you

Thank you, ***** *****