How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliot Ruff Your Own Question
Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2862
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Elliot Ruff is online now

My son has severe toothache and I believe he may have an

This answer was rated:

my son has severe toothache and I believe he may have an abscess as the tooth is open. he is in a lot of pain. What would you suggest
JA: The Dentist can help. To begin, has the toothache been stable or getting worse? Is this a first-time issue?
Customer: its not a first time issue, the filling came away before the lockdown and has progressively been getting worse, root and nerve exposed
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a dentist about the toothache? How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: he has been dealing with it over 6 months ago, seen by a dentist
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Dentist should know?
Customer: heart condition in the family uncle died from heart attack aged 40, other uncle just had triple bypass aged 63, father suffering from kidney problems. Inflamation in legs july last year after returning from thailand. partial clot
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dean is 35 years old.

Good evening, I am sorry if there has been a delay in responding. I am Dr Elliot. Do you still require assistance?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Could I clarify, has he had this for 6 months? and if so, what has happened so far?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
he has had a problem for 6 months, the tooth enamel has eroded and now exposed the root and nerve
sorry I can not call as he is on benefits
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
he is in quite a lot of pain, after taking paracetamol, and a salt wash

Okay thank you. If the pain is now too much then the first thing you can do is get a low dose co-codamol from the pharmacy, this you can get over the counter without a prescription. Please could you also phone 111, which you can do this evening if you like, to be put through to the emergency dental service for your area.

They would then be able to arrange an urgent assessment directly with you for the dentist to see Dean.

They would also be able to issue stronger analgesia. Would you like me to look up your emergency dental service?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thank you

Please could you complete a rating for my response to you, this supports my continued appraisal and credits me for answering your question. Please could you also advise me of your nearest town and I can forward you the dental information

Elliot Ruff and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you