Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I am a 63 yr old male, nearly, and a bit overweight. I have

Good evening, I am a 63 yr old male, nearly, and a bit overweight. I have had an acute stabbing like pain in my lower left side, blow the stomach but above my groin, for the last 3 days. Thought I would see if it subsided for a few days, but it’s not. My first thought was appendicitis but it’s on the wrong side. My appetite is Ok and bowel movements are OK. If I lift up my left knee, a little discomfort but if I lift up my right I get a sharp stabbing pain. Standing and lying down are OK but getting back up, it really aches. It is also painful if I apply finger pressure to the area. I hate taking painkillers but is there anything I can do in the short term ? Many Thanks Keith Lawton
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, how long have you been using the painkiller? Has it helped at all?
Customer: No painkillers taken
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a doctor about the ache?
Customer: not yet, given lockdown I have have only been for a walk once in 7 weeks.
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: I had a mild heart attack 14 years ago and have been on the standard medicines for those ever since.
Hi. From what you describe in that location sounds like diverticulitis. Have you had that before? To make a diagnosis we need blood work and a cat scan of the abdomen.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your response. Never had this before, I also thought initially kidney stones for the pain intensity - do I try to book a doctors appointment for Monday or go to A&E ASAP - I do not drive and would need a taxi. Would hate to waste their valuable time at this crisis time obviously.
I don’t think it’s a kidney stone. You’re not complaining of urinating symptoms or blood in the urine. If the pain is severe then it’s best to go to the hospital to be checked. Blood work, urinalysis and a cat scan can detect diverticulitis and also a kidney stone, though I put a stone further down on my differential list.
How severe do you rate the pain on a 1 to 10 scale?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Currently 7/8
Then I suggest you go now to be checked. If it is diverticulitis there’s always the chance it can perforate.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank Dr Mark