Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have Crohn’s disease and wanted to know what strength

Hi, I have Crohn’s disease and wanted to know what strength probiotics I should take? I currently take around 8 billion

Good evening. I am Dr Elliot and hope that I can help you this evening

What brand of probiotic are you taking? And has this been on the advice of your Gastroenterologist? Thanks

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’ve been taking probiotics for around 2 years and I was diagnosed with crohns 2 months ago and I’ve been taking acidophilus with bifidus 4billion

Thank you. Are you taking any other medications as well?

The guidance for inflammatory bowel conditions is 25 billion, but this dose is only recommended for up to 8 weeks. There is no evidence based dose to take for maintenance. However this would be suggested by your own Gastroenterologist.

I suspect if you were only diagnosed 2 months ago that you would be seeing them again soon, could you clarify what their thoughts are on the dose?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Why only 8 weeks? I will be starting treatment after Covid 19

I would suggest that you continue at your current dose without any changes for now. I am sorry that I cannot be of anymore help. I have just checked the product literature and there is minimal structure to the guidance and appears to be more at the discretion of the clinician.

Unfortunately there is limited evidence on supporting higher dosing for inflammatory bowel disease.

I hope you get to start your treatment soon and that your symptoms are mild - best of luck