Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have acute uncontrolable diarrhoea. Imodium does't help.

Customer Question

I have acute uncontrolable diarrhoea. Imodium does't help. have had it for many weeks now. What is your advice please.
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, how long have you been using Imodium? Has it helped at all?
Customer: Have been using Imodium for about 2 weeks. Doesn't help at all.
JA: The Doctor will be able to answer that. Have you seen a doctor about the diarrhoea?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have type 2 diabetes and am asthmatic and are 86 years old. I am self-isolating and cannot leave my apartment.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

You need to show your doctor for this. This is something that needs investigation early.

Diarrhea for more than 2 weeks requires a visit to the doctor. This is not something that can be treated at home.

You should call up your doctor and discuss your symptoms. Also ask for an early appointment.

Several causes can cause such diarrhea.
Discuss these points with your doctor:
Infections: Organisms which can cause such prolonged diarrhoea are C. difficile, and protozoa such as giardiasis. Ask about multiple stool examinations which are necessary for giardiasis.
Inflammatory bowel disease: This includes Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis. Various tests including colonoscopy and biopsy
Microscopic Colitis: This includes Lymphocytic colitis and Collagenous colitis.Colonoscopy is normal. It can be confirmed only by biopsy.
Malabsorption: coeliac disease
Diverticular disease: another possibility

All these conditions can cause the symptoms you are having, of intractable diarrhoea. Raise them with your doctor so you have a broad outline of conditions to investigate and rule out.

For now,
Rest.
Plenty of fluids- you should take water, fruit juices, electrolyte fluids like Gatorade. Gatorade is most imp as there may be electrolyte imbalance.
Bland diet: the BRATTY diet - banana, soft rice, apple sauce, toast, tea and yoghurt is recommended.
Continue with Loperamide (Imodium) Take in the correct dosage.. the dosage is 2 caplets after the first loose stool, then 1 caplet after each loose stool that follows. Take no more than 4 caplets or 8 teaspoonfuls in 24 hours

This will help with immediate symptoms till you go to the doctor.

Take care, watch out for dehydration specially. I am sure you will find a solution with the GI.

Take care- be safe - note down these points and see your doctor and discuss with him/her - this will enable you to get an informed discussion leading to the best possible outcome.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need with 5 stars from the rating bar at the corner of your window. We are paid only when a positive rating is given.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've spoken to my doctor. He has put me on codeine tablets and has referred me to hospital for further tests.

Thats great.

With the tests you can get a diagnosis and then a treatment plan

If my answer has helped you, please enter a 5 star rating from the ratings bar at the corner of your window. If you dont see it, you can go to your email and come back through the link.

We are paid only when a positive rating is given. Without a positive rating, this session remains inconclusive.

Bonus is always welcome Thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti