M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
28778822

Ive been on my period for a few weeks now im worried and

Customer Question

Ive been on my period for a few weeks now im worried and dont know what to do#
JA: The Obstetrician-Gynaecologist can help. To begin, apologies for the personal questions, but are you using any contraceptives? When did your last period begin?
Customer: Impant, and a few weeks ago
JA: Thanks for that. OK, more personal questions coming up I'm afraid - when was your last smear test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discolouration, or unusual smells?
Customer: febuary and clear
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Obstetrician-Gynaecologist should know?
Customer: nope
Expert:  M Javid, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi, how long have you had the implant? Is this the first time that you have had a prolonged period after the implant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
had the implant on the 23rd of february 2020, and my first one was 2 weeks but this has been 3 weeks now

Ok, over 17% of women have prolonged bleeding, which is defined as bleeding over two weeks over a 3 month period. About 11% of women have to discontinue the implant due to changes in their bleeding pattern. This abnormal bleeding may persist for the first 3 to 6 months. The first line treatment is with NSAIDS, like ibuprofen and naproxen. If they do not work, then birth control pills are added. These can be continued from one to 6 months, and will stop the bleeding. At this time, you can start tab ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day for 5 days, and see if they help. If not, you should see your GP and have the birth control pills added.

I hope that answers you? Please click the 5 stars on your screen to leave a positive rating for my answer, it's very important for me, thanks.