neurosurg
neurosurg, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US MD
206912

I have been experiencing pain in my right shoulder which

Customer Question

Hi I have been experiencing pain in my right shoulder which goes into the right side of my head I had a head mri and it came back all clear, should I book in for a shoulder mri to find the problem it’s been going on 10 weeks now thankyou
Expert:  neurosurg replied 1 year ago.

Hello -

Pain into the right shoulder and to the neck and head wouldn't be from a head/brain issue.

Nor would it be from a shoulder issue.

This sounds like a cervical spine issue:

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/cervical-radiculopathy-pinched-nerve/

Expert:  neurosurg replied 1 year ago.

So asking for MRI of the cervical spine would be more useful here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It’s like a numb pain in the top of my head and it sometimes wakes me up when sleeping but mri came back clear I have a real sore shoulder what’s your advice on what you think it is thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  neurosurg replied 1 year ago.

Did you get a MRI of the cervical spine (neck) here? If not, that's the MRI you should get. The MRI of the brain isn't helpful here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even though the pain is in my head and shoulder should I not worry about my head ? I will book an mri on my cervical spine could it be a trapped nerve ?
Expert:  neurosurg replied 1 year ago.

It could be a trapped nerve in the mid cervical spine, as that could cause pain to travel up the back of the head as well as into the shoulder.

Expert:  neurosurg replied 1 year ago.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!