DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

Hyperthyroidism. On 40 mg carbimazole!. Will be having

Hyperthyroidism . On 40 mg carbimazole ! . Will be having iodine treatment in August , to shrink nodules ! My T4 .22.46 and TSH is 0.01 . Consultant has reduced carbimazole from 40 mg to 15 mg today . But I feel bad , no energy , lethargic , hungry , no sleep , was wondering is my overactive thyroid , now under active , been on 40mg since jan 2020 !
JA: When was the last time you had your levels checked? Have you noticed any weight loss or weight gain?
Customer: In 2012 overactive was hospitalised , 9 days and lost loads weight ! Was treated for 2 years on meds , level s stayed level . Now 7 years later , last nov 2019 came back . Been on meds since then . But mg was increased in jan 2020 . Now I have gained lot of weight
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Have graves . Just could it be so now that I have gone under active ! As 40 mg is high . And the results of my blood test last week was in my last message

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Your symptoms do suggest an underactive thyroid

It can be due to Carbimazole

I think you have been rightly put on a reduced dose

Hopefully these symptoms will improve in few weeks

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can u tell what level my thyroid is now , from the T4 22.46 and TSH 0.01 is now . In nov 2019 the thyroid level was 47 !

Is the value of T4 in pmol/L?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure ! My hospital letter just shows the T4 22.46 and TSH 0.01 , was the result of my blood test that was done 26 05 2020 ! . Thanks for your help tonight !

Thanks for the details

Your TSH is quite suppressed and the T4 is just above normal

This can be due to the medicine and with your symptoms it seems that you may be developing hypothyroidism

So I agree with your doctor that he has reduced the dose

But I would like a repeat test in 4 weeks to see how it goes

You are welcome