DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

My daughter is wanting to get pregnant and is getting really

My daughter is wanting to get pregnant and is getting really stressed with trying to keep her blood sugars to the recommended amounts in between meals. How important is it that she does not go over 6.7 inbetween meals. This seems to be impossible. She is very sensitive to insulin. Is getting so stressed by blood sugars that I feel it is doing more harm than good
JA: The Endocrinologist can help. To begin, any recent weight loss/gain? Are you excessively thirsty?
Customer: My daughter is wanting to get pregnant and is getting really stressed with trying to keep her blood sugars to the recommended numbers in between meals. How important is it that she does not go over 6.7 inbetween meals. ‘Tis seems to be impossible for her. She is very small and very sensitive to insulin
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your daughter's medical history the Endocrinologist should know?
Customer: No I don’t think so. She is fit and healthy

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Is she taking any medicine so far?

What are her values before and after meals?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she is not taking medicine although she has been told to take 10mg of statins per day. Her values before and after meals are usually in the right area, between 5 and 7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I cant call you

Thanks for the details

If her post-prandial readings are less than 7 mmol then you should not worry

She will get pregnant

If her doctor wants a more strict control then she can be put on Metformin

But as I said these readings are unlikely to affect her chances of getting pregnant

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is just that everything on line says that she should try not to go over 7.8 inbetween meals. This seems very difficult

Yes it should be

But as I said she can use Metformin if the readings are above this

That will be helpful in improving her chances of conception

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It’s not so much the getting pregnant as the health of the baby she is worrying about

Using Metformin will not affect her baby as well rather with improved blood glucose chances of a healthy baby will also be increased

So she must start it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou

You are welcome

If done please leave a 5-stars feedback rating