Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I've had diarrhoea now scince march and all my doctor does

I've had diarrhoea now scince march and all my doctor does is keep giving me pills which are not working. I'm so worn out and depressed.
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: Yes my doctor but I think its going on for too long. I just want something sorted.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I've been diagnosed with IBS but its never been this bad or go on for so long I'm also loosing weight.

What are your age and gender?

How many bowel motions do you pass in a day? Are these bulky and watery?

What are the investigations/treatments done for it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am female and 57.I'm going to the toilet nearly every 30 mins. No investigations have been done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been on lower amide 2mg tablets,mebeverine135mg tablets and copper min none of which had any effect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bowel motions are bulky and watery.

Thanks for the additional information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

The main causes of the chronic diarrhea are following;

1) Irritable bowel syndrome; is a sort of functional diarrhea in which no abnormality is found.

2) Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD); is an autoimmune-mediated type of diarrhea and it can involve other organs in the body. The biopsy of colon and small intestines need to be taken to establish the diagnosis with investigations like CRP, ANA, HLA B 27, etc. There are two types of IBD;

a) Crohn's disease

b) Ulcerative colitis.

You would need a colonoscopy for the evaluation.

3) Microscopic colitis; Microscopic colitis is characterized by chronic watery (secretory) diarrhea without bleeding. It usually occurs in middle-aged patients. Two different types of microscopic colitis have been generally recognized:

a) Lymphocytic colitis

b) Collagenous colitis without lymphocytic infiltration of the surface epithelium

Collagenous and lymphocytic colitis produce a similar clinical picture characterized by non-bloody chronic watery (secretory) diarrhea of up to two liters daily. So the total amount of stools per day has to ascertained.

4) Malabsorption syndromes; The classic manifestations of malabsorption are pale, greasy, voluminous, foul-smelling stools, and weight loss despite adequate food intake.

5) Chronic infections; Some persisting infections (C. difficile, Aeromonas, Plesiomonas, Campylobacter, Giardia, Amebae, etc.) can be associated with chronic diarrhea.

You should be investigated for IBD, chronic infections, or for secretory diarrhea (by estimating total amount of stools per 24 hours).

Gastrinoma and VIPoma also should be considered for prolonged secretory diarrhea and a high index of suspicion is required. Secretory diarrhea characteristically continues despite fasting, is associated with stool volumes more than 1 liter/day. Selective testing for plasma peptides such as gastrin, calcitonin, vasoactive intestinal polypeptide, and somatostatin, as well as urine excretion of 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid, metanephrine, or histamine and other tests of endocrine function, such as measurement of thyroid-stimulating hormone and serum thyroxine levels or an adrenocorticotropin-stimulation test for adrenal insufficiency, can be considered by your physician. An aspirate of small bowel contents for quantitative culture or breath tests with glucose or isotopically labeled xylose can be used to establish the presence of small bowel bacterial overgrowth

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

Stay safe,

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.