Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I am 20 years old. I have been coughing for 1 week almos.

Customer Question

Hi.. I am 20 years old. I have been coughing for 1 week almos. And i have fever for 3 days.i am very worried about my health. Pls suggest me what i have to do.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: Only cough
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience. ​

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

Have you had any exposure to a Corona infected person that you are aware of?

Do you stay in an area with a lot of Corona infections?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

You may get a message asking for a phone call, that is not sent by me but generated automatically by the website, you can ignore it if you choose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hadn't exposure to a coro infected perdon.
Where i stay. Here not too much.. But there are some corona patient here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do we countie our chat? I am not interested in phone call

Your symptoms are quite typical of a viral upper respiratory tract infection, or 'Flu'..

Flu presents with fever which is usually associated with cold and cough, nausea and occasionally vomiting and diarrhoea.

I would suggest:

Rest.

Fluids. take a lot of fluids like water, fruit juice and Gatorade..

Tylenol tab for fever - take one 500 tab for fever, gap should be at least 6 hours and no more than 4 tabs a days.

Otrivin nose drop - if you have blocked nose

Decongestant medicines: Like Benadryl Allergy Relief or Triaminic Cold and Night time cough syrup - these will help control your cough.

These steps are generally sufficient for flu.

But in these times of Corona infection, it is very important that you report this to your doctor. Your doctor will determine whether you need to be tested for Corona.

Hence do report this to your doctor ASAP.

If you have had exposure to Covid 19, and you are now having these symptoms, you are advised to go for self quarantine.

The recommendations are:

Call your doctor: describe your symptoms and ask for any OTC treatment, and whether you need to get the test.

Stay home: this is most important. You should not go out as far as possible. Even within the home if there are other family members you should maintain social distancing of 6 feet, use masks and sanitize your hands frequently. WIthout other members this is not necessary.

Take care of yourself, specially rehydration.

Avoid public transportation: if you have to go out avoid public transportation.

Mask and Social distancing: these are most important if you have to go out.

You must maintain contact with your doctor.

You have to go to the ER for the following signs:

Trouble breathing
Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
New confusion
Inability to wake or stay awake
Bluish lips or face

Any other severe symptoms.

Take care- be safe - note down these points and call your doctor and discuss with him/her - this will enable you to get an informed discussion leading to the best possible outcome.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need with 5 stars from the rating bar at the corner of your window. We are paid only when a positive rating is given.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

I am just checking up on you. Did my answer help you? Do you have any other queries?
Please remember to rate my service with 5 stars from the rating bar if you are satisfied with my answer..

Without a positive rating, this session remains inconclusive.

Dr. P. Jyoti