Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I have a hiatus hernia 3cm sliding, I've just had an

I have a hiatus hernia 3cm sliding, I've just had an endoscopy that came back clear. I can't tolerate PPIs as they give me dreadful constipation so I'm currently struggling with acid reflux, silent reflux, lot and a feeling that there is a golf ball in my throat that is always there so I can hardly speak. My swallowing is intermittent, I'm at my wit's end. I've been on a strict Acid watchers diet for the past 2 months. My sinuses are blocked, it's affecting my breathing and I have ringing in my ears. Please help I'm desperate and need some advice as I feel this LPR is nearly choking me. Thank you
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: 2 months and yes I am having breathing problems
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have an under active thyroid

Good afternoon, I am Dr Elliot. An alternative to a PPI is a H2 antagonist such as cimetidine. It may be with trying this instead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me why this is affecting my breathing and sinuses please?

I can try, but this is an assumption. Acid reflux can present in many ways, typically it causes your gastric irritation and pain, but if acid is irritating the throat it can cause secretion from the sinuses, irritation of the throat and upper airways and can the the cause of chronic coughs. The only way to determine if it is the cause is to tackle the acid first, a PPI is certainly our first line option but other medications can help.

Sorry, by assumption I am assuming the acid reflux is causing your symptoms without examining you to physically examine the sinuses, check your throat and listen to your chest

Good evening, I am just following up from the other day, was this of any benefit to you? thanks