sofia khan
sofia khan, Doctor
Experience:  Consultant Family physician with special interest in dermatology at Rehman Medical Institute
101501929

I have dealt with spots on my face for the last 3 months. I

Customer Question

I have dealt with spots on my face for the last 3 months. I haven’t had bad acne issues In the past. This has come and gone for the last 2 years
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: No other skin concerns. Around 3 months this time but overall 2 years
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture
Expert:  sofia khan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for contacting Justanswer.

My name is***** khan. I am board certified family physician with specialist training in dermatology. I shall try and help you today with your query.

Let me have a quick read through and I’ll get back to you shortly.

Expert:  sofia khan replied 1 year ago.

thank you for sending the picture over. may i ask a few more questions?

have you been picking these lesions? do they appear as pus filled pimples or small white heads and black heads?

any symptoms with them like pain, irritation or itching?

any undue stress or anxiety lately or in the last 2 years?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are sometimes itchy! Occasionally pick them. I’ve had a couple of whiteheads but not all of them have beenNot any extra stress no
Expert:  sofia khan replied 1 year ago.

right! this appears as acne excoriee.

Most people squeeze or pick some of their spots in an attempt to be rid of them. This can make the acne look worse. The acne may become secondarily infected and picking it may also cause scarring. you may be subconsciously picking them. Anyone who gets acne can suffer from acne excoriee. Underlying stress or low mood can cause this and vice versa.

the treatment is similar to other forms but you have to avoid picking.

Use the following skin regimen:

1. Use a face wash for oily skin twice daily. Cetaphil, Eucerin and la roche posay are good brands and are available every where.

2. Vitamin C serum 10% after washing you face in the morning.

3. Oil free sun block. Choose it from la roche posay brand.

4. adapalene 0.1% at night. thin layer all over the face on alternate nights for 2 months. you will need prescription for that.

Basically this treatment makes your skin quite dry and this is also the aim of the treatment, as acne happens in oily skin. You can use a moisturiser on and off to keep things manageable.

You can also ask your doctor to prescribe doxycycline tablets fo 2 months, along with this regimen it will clear up your acne.

Expert:  sofia khan replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you have any further questions