Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Ive had this problem for 7 years. When i eat, not all the

Hi. ive had this problem for 7 years. When i eat, not all the time, but any foods and drink can make it happen. My stomach has a feeling of heavyiness: i cannot inhale or yawn AT ALL!. this lasts a few days.i get it once or twice a week.i cannot sleep with it because i can't relax or take a deep breath. it affects me that bad.my belly is constantly full of gas anyway, rumbles like a hot water bottlesometimes usually in bed i can't stop swallowing, like i'm drowning, but NO food particles or acid & NO heartburni usually get it either whilst eating or immediately after eating.my lower bowel also goes distended although not always, just when i have it bad,the main source seems to be my stomach area, i cannot always burp either. food stays in my stomach and must press on my diaphragm

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience. ​

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and sex?

Have you seen a doctor for this?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

You may get a message asking for a phone call, that is not sent by me but generated automatically by the website, you can ignore it if you choose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am a 39 yr old male. yes, i've been to the doctors. i have had scans including 2 cameras

This is likely to be Acid Peptic Disorder. There are different types of acid peptic disorder like gastritis, acid reflux, ulcers, etc. You probably have a mild form of gastritis. Medicines for APD are H2 blockers which your doctors must have prescribed for you, you need to continue those medicines. You can also take OTC H2 blockers like Cap. Prilosec one cap daily in the morning.

In addition you have to recognize that besides the actual gastritis, there must also be an overlay of anxiety which is making you stress on the symptoms all the time. Since you have seen the doctors and tests like scans and cameras have not shown only mild findings, your compulsive dwelling on this is also part of the problem. You must recognize this and accept this, only then can you hope to get closure on this. Fight against the compulsion and stop dwelling on these symptoms.

For your gastritis, in addition to the H2blockers, some other natural steps that you should take for control of these symptoms are:

*Cut down on alcohol and smoking

*have small frequent meals

*cut down on fried foods

* Bland diet: the BRATTY diet - banana, soft rice, apple sauce, toast, tea and yoghurt is recommended.

*take sips of cold water from time to time

*Sleep in a propped up position instead of flat on the bed to prevent acid reflux.

*As soon as you wake up in the morning and before getting up from bed, nibble at 2-3 dry crackers. These will absorb whatever acid and gas has collected in your stomach overnight. Lie quietly in bed for another 30 minutes.

*Liquid and solid food is not to taken together. Liquids are to be taken at least 1 hour after solids.

*Do not do anything that can cause gastric acid to flow upwards. No toe-touching exercises, no leaning forwards to pick up things, no leaning forward to make the beds etc.

However, if the symptoms persist you should consult a doctor. You should also discuss about anti anxiety drugs which can help with your compulsion.

I know this is not the answer you were looking for but these are the straight facts. Hope this information clears up the issues for you.

Take care - wish you good health and a quick recovery. Stay safe.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and helped you in knowing what to discuss with your doctor if required.

If my answer has helped you, please click on a four or five star rating from the rating bar of stars at the top or bottom of your chatbox. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credit for my work. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

Please note that rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know, I am sure I can help you further.
With regards,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All my doctor gave me, 3 years ago now, were antacid tablets. which had no affect. i have since tried different antacid tablets, didn't help at all. I have Omeprazole, what happens if i already have low stomach acid as opposed to high stomach acid, how they will affect me? also i can get it after ANY food item, even a piece of cheese, not always a meal. When i have it bad i CANNOT sleep at all, and i don't know how to get rid of it once i have it.....i have been told its probably IBS but i don't think so or maybe SIBO?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, i don't have Omeprazole and i have never had it. i meant 'if i have it'

Omeprazole is a H2blocker, so also is Prilosec. You can take H2 blockers for these symptoms. Low stomach acids is practically unheard of, there are only specific genetic problems where this occurs. So dont go worrying about things which are highly improbable. And in case of low acids, h2blockers wont have any effect.

Try with the Prilosec and the other steps that I told you about.

Also you have to control your anxiety, ask the doctor for anxiety medicines.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** ***** anything to relieve my breathing issues once i have it. i dont panic when i have until after a few hours. the not being able to inhale or yawn keeps me up all night and i work 12 hrs a day, it's horrible. thanks. Do you not think it's IBS as someone told me?

IBS is certainly a possibility.

But usually with IBS you would have a lot of bowel movement along with these symptoms.

Your breathing issues are also a part of your anxiety.

Take anti anxiety treatment along with all these steps and you will feel better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, i will go now, but i don't how it can be anxiety when all i'm doing is eating. i only get it either whilst eating or straight after. Plus, when i do feel anxious, i don't really get it, only when i eat. i get anxious when i have it, but it's too late then

Stress or anxiety can be hidden inside and manifest in many symptoms, which adds further to the anxiety so that it comes up to the surface so to say.

Do treat the gastritis, but also take anti anxiety treatment.

If my answer has helped you, you need to rate my service positively with 4 or 5 stars(preferably 5 stars!) from the rating bar of stars at the top or bottom of your chatbox. If you do not see the ratings, then go your email and follow the link .

We are paid only when a positive rating is given. Without a positive rating, this session remains inconclusive.

Bonus is always welcome Thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti