Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I am menopausal, I have Polymyalgia and I desperately need a

Customer Question

I am menopausal, I have Polymyalgia and I desperately need a nights sleep.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: my usual go have me pramipexole for restless legs and I was hoping it would help me sleep but it hasn’t. It makes me feel very nauseous the next day.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: I currently am taking 15mg prednisone per day. Since entering the menopause I have had difficulty sleeping. My go doesn’t believe in sleeping tablets but I am so desperate for a night sleep
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 year ago.

Menopause can be associated with sleep disturbances, as in your case,

HRT can be helpful for a few years if it is indicated,

An alternative treatment for menopausal symptoms may come from soy products (tofu, soybeans, and soymilk). They contain phytoestrogen, a plant hormone similar to estrogen. Soy products may lessen hot flashes, but there are no consistent results for its ability to relieve them.

Coping

• Eat healthy. Avoid large meals, especially before bedtime. Maintain a regular, normal weight. Some foods that are spicy or acidic may trigger hot flashes. Try foods rich in soy as they might minimize hot flashes.
  • Avoid nicotine, caffeine and alcohol, especially before bedtime.
  • Dress in lightweight clothes to improve sleep efficiency. Avoid heavy, insulating blankets and consider using a fan or air conditioning to cool the air and increase circulation.
  • Reduce stress and worry as much as possible. Try relaxation techniques, massage and exercise. Talk to a behavioral health professional if you are depressed, anxious or having problems.

Research shows that valerian can help people fall asleep more quickly, improve the quality of sleep, and increase amounts of nightly sleep. Valerian can also help ease the symptoms of insomnia. Studies specifically about women undergoing menopause show valerian is helpful to improving their sleep.

Read more here

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/sleep-newzzz/201808/7-natural-supplements-can-help-sleep-and-menopause#:~:text=Research%20shows%20that%20valerian%20can,helpful%20to%20improving%20their%20sleep.

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/menopause-and-sleep#:~:text=From%20peri%2Dmenopause%20to%20post,accompanied%20by%20depression%20and%20anxiety.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/sleep-problems-and-menopause-what-can-i-do

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is appreciated. A TIP would be even better! If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Warm Regards,
Dr. Gupta, MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I asked for something to help me sleep. I don’t need HRT as I don’t suffer too bad with the menopause! I have done lots of reading and know all about the menopause. That wasn’t what I was asking about.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 year ago.

My apologies for not being able to assist,

There are no great over the counter options for sleep problems in the UK.

In the US, you cam buy MELATONIN over the counter from a pharmacy, but in the UK you need a prescription to get this.

I would recommend a trial of MELATONIN as I have found that this leads to REFRESHING sleep and minimum side-effects,

Warm Regards,
Dr. Gupta, MD