neurosurg
neurosurg, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US MD
206912

I was on antibiotics amoxicillin and Clarithromycin this

Hi I was on antibiotics amoxicillin and Clarithromycin this week to treat suspected h plyori. When taking them I started getting a tingling and pressure on my scalp, kind of a numbing pain. I stopped taking them two days ago and it has still not gone away. How long until it should disappear?

Hello -

If this is a side effect from the medications (which would be rare) -- the symptoms should improve within a few days.

Anything more than a week would make me suspect that this is a completely different issue.

For example, if the numbness and pressure is mainly in the back of the head -- issues with arthritis in the upper neck (cervical spine) area can cause this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I phoned NHS when it started and they said it is common and would go away after stopping them. It started a couple of days after me taking them and is at the top of my head at my hairline

I would expect that you would be better by the end of the weekend.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.