neurosurg
neurosurg, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US MD
206912

I was diagnosed with cauda equina in early March 2019 but

Customer Question

Hello Doctor I was diagnosed with cauda equina in early March 2019 but also had a broken back (3 discs). Following a successful operation and 6 months in rehabilitation i can walk unaided for short distances, however I have some bladder problems and a sensation of vibration under my feet (rather like a diesel engine running) and a strange feeling in my lower limbs as if there are barrels round my legs. I have not seen my GP or been back to the hospital. Because of the corona virus I avoided most medical establishments. (I am 82)
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, how long have you had the break? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: The broken back was operated on successfully in March 2019.
JA: Thanks for that. What was discussed at your last visit to the Doctor?
Customer: I find it very difficult if not impossible to get a face to face with my doctor due to the virus.
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have had rheumatoid arthritis since aged 40 approx. and up to the operation was on enbrel an immuno suppressant.
Expert:  neurosurg replied 1 year ago.

Hello -

Did the bladder issues start only after the cauda equina episode in March 2019?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT IS NOT SERIOUS JUST VERY INCONVENIENT. THE REAL PROBLEM IS THE LACK OF FEELING IN BOTH LEGS WHICH IS MAKING WALKING DIFFICULT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
S/517
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was unable to hear the phone response properly it seemed to end in s/s/517
Expert:  neurosurg replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks.

The issue here is that you may have suffered permanent damage to the nerves that go to the legs as well as the bladder from the cauda equina syndrome in March 2019.

It is difficult to say here, but I certainly would want to have your doctors obtain another MRI of the lumbar spine to make sure there isn't any ongoing issues causing compression of the spinal cord or the nerves in the lumbar spine here.

Expert:  neurosurg replied 1 year ago.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!