Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I think I have blood in my stool and it has a strange smell

Customer Question

I think I have blood in my stool and it has a strange smell out with the usual. My rectum also leaks a clear sticky residue
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Am a landscape gardener but was in lockdown for six weeks so not nearly as active as I normally would be. Am back to work now but not feeling any difference in my general health apart from the usual aches and pains. I am aware however that my drinking habits increased over the lockdown period. Which I am now trying to dial back.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: With regards ***** ***** issue I'm contacting you about, none. Also I was adopted so family history is unknown. Any issues I've had in the past have either been skeletal or muscular.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Blood in the stool has many causes. Some not serious as hemorrhoids or anal fissure. More significant causes can be polyps and tumors or vascular problems. How old are you? How long have you been having blood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 43years old and only noticed the blood in the last week, however the sticky seepage and the strange smell has been happening for a month or so. I have had piles before and am not experiencing the same discomfort that accompanies them.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
You need a sigmoidoscopy to start with. That can be done to examine the lower colon. Eventually a colonoscopy might be needed. I’m also concerned that you could have inflammatory bowel,disease such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease. Both can cause blood and seepage. There’s no way to know short of having your colon examined
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I go about getting that done?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
Start with your gp. Some can do a sigmoidoscopy in the office. That can tell whether there’s hemorrhoids or a fissure . It may also be able to see if there’s colitis from inflammatory bowel disease. The sigmoidoscope is only 65 cm long so it can’t examine the entire colon.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
You may need a referral to a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you. How concerned should I be?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
You’re welcome. Are you having blood every time you have a bowel movement? If so, how much blood? Any diarrhea or abdominal pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. When I say concerned I mean how proactive should i be as i am now only working 4 days a week and really cant afford to take a day off and have my daughter the other 3 and dont really want to take her to a health center waiting room.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
Please answer my last few questions above. That will give me a better sense of the urgency.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have only noticed a significant amount in the last week. My stools are also quite liquid or come out in small increments. Have not had a properly big movement for a while.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
Thats more consistent with colitis then with hemorrhoids. I would prefer you see your gp sooner then later. It’s not an emergency but I’d like you to be examined within the next several weeks. Obviously if you develop fever, severe bloody diarrhea or abdominal pain then it’s more urgent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Will get something organized.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
You’re welcome. Hope it’s nothing serious.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 1 year ago.
I’d appreciate you rating my answers with the stars on your screen so I receive feedback and credit. Thanks.