Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I was fasting a couple weeks ago and cut my finger and

I was fasting a couple weeks ago and cut my finger and fainted. Fell hardly on the floor. I have been feeling very weak everyday, with a headache and dizziness and lightheadedness like I’m about to pass out

Good evening, I am Dr Elliot. Please could I ask your age, sex, and if you have any medical problems?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
25 year old female, no medical conditions known

Thank you. Have you ever had this before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No never this long
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hit my head hard on the floor when I fainted
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But it’s been so many weeks

Okay thanks, ***** ***** a head injury was the cause, you would general have a worsening condition, vomiting within the first 24 hours, but without these, yes a concussion is possible.

However, if you are sitting, then stand up, does this aggravate the symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don’t think so but I noticed when I’m in the car it worsens

Thanks, ***** ***** suspect this is nothing to do with hitting your head.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My heart rate also increases and I start hreathing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Breathing rapidly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What could it be then?

If you fainted easily on cutting your finger, this suggests you are prone to syncopal episodes/fainting episodes. If this was following a fast this would have likely exacerbated this. As a female it is more common, iron deficiency and also b12 deficiency can be causes of this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I lost Probably 5kg overr the past few months

Increased breathing and heart rate are a normal consequence of a pre-syncopal episode. This doesn't mean something is wrong

Thanks, ***** ***** loss would almost certainly contribute to this - what is your BMI?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a blood test before lockdown and the only deficiency I had was vitamin D. Iron levels were within limits but on the lower side

Are you good at eating 3 regular meals a day now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My BMI is 21.4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or 22

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes I skip a meal but id have little snacks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also feel my feet and legs becoming cold and starting to shiver, as my heart rate increases

Okay. So the first thing I would so is ensure you have breakfast each morning, fibre based, avoid sugary foods. Make sure you have something at lunch with more complex cabohydrates and then dinner. Snacking between this with fruit/snacks is also advisable. If you do this for 1-2 weeks and do not feel any better, then you will need your Blood pressure checked and repeat your blood tests. This is a common presentation.

feet and legs becoming cold whilst your heart rate increasing is a response to adrenaline, again something physiological in response to pre-syncope as well as anxiety.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes I fear I’m going to die.. because there’s also tightness around my head but then it gets better.. it’s not always there

I see, so anxiety is also a big factor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really.. only when I start feeling worse I get anxious about it because I don’t know what’s wrong with me for so long

Fearing you are going to die is not a normal thought process and is suggestive of anxiety.

Have you been seen by anyone since you fainted the first time following your fast?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I start feeling lightheaded and dizzy and get this headache I normally get anxiety about it because I don’t know why I’m feeling like this. It’s never anxiety first
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to a&e and they just did an ecg and said it’s fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just told me it’s a concussion

fair enough, I would focus on causes of stopping your blood pressure dropping. Your symptoms are very clear it is related to this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it be life threatening
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I stop it from dropping

No

It was inevitably precipitated by weight loss and fasting. However in young females, more so in those who have heavy periods, it is incredibly common.

I think the head injury is incidental, but no doubt is going to give you a headache for some time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They checked my blood pressure too and said It was nomal

It was normal at the time...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I increase my blood pressure

Right, you will be fine. Good luck with this. Go see your GP, repeat your Blood test, make sure you eat properly, missing meals is not going to be productive if you genuinely want to address this.

What you explain is not a complex medical problem. It is not life threatening. But go see someone, because clearly it is playing on your mind, which I understand, but doing nothing will achieve nothing.

It isn't about increasing your blood pressure, it is about preventing it from dropping - something called postural hypotension. I have explained how to address this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn’t postural hypotension happen when you stand up from sitting down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still feel dizzy when I’m laying down and even when I wake up from my sleep sometimes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it gets worse in the evening.. in the mornings I feel better

I am very sorry, but this would be much easier to deal with in person or over the phone. I can opt out and hopefully someone else will be able to help you, take care

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks

My advice is to go see your GP, you need this discussing in person, please don't spend anymore money on this when as a GP I would be discussing this/examining you and coming up with a plan in less than 10 minutes. A advice forum is too limited for this.

Hello again, if nobody has got back to you I will happily call to discuss this if you provide your number directly