Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I just have a query. I with in a situation a few months ago

Hi, I just have a query. I with in a situation a few months ago in my retail workplace when an elderly woman in a wheelchair asked me to assist her to the toilet which I did.
I ended up though having to wipe her bottom for her and I’m sure I used toilet roll but now I’m very anxious I may have caught something. I am very hiv paranoid which has made me think like this. I was tested about 11 weeks after this incident but do you think I need to have another test?
Thankyou

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

This is not an exposure that warrants a test since HIV does not transmit in this fashion.

HIV can only transmit the following ways:

1) Unprotected penetrative sexual intercourse (anal > vaginal > oral).

2) Hollow used needle stick injuries (health care workers and IV drug users).

3) Blood transfusions with infected HIV blood (non-existent nowadays).

4) Vertical transmission from an infected mother to her unborn baby.

So, there is no risk of HIV to you with this encounter, rest assured. And you're test at 11 weeks after this happened was clear, so you do not need any further testing.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today.
Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the “Finish with Rating” button or selecting the 5 stars at the top of this page before you leave JA today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou, I think i just got a bit worried as I thought it had to be 90 days for an hiv test and I may have had it done too early.

You're perfectly fine with this test.