Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I’m looking to purchase some tenuate dospan or Ionamin 30.

I’m looking to purchase some tenuate dospan or Ionamin 30. I’m e trembly overweight and had both aids previously for short term use. I use to run and be active but since this COVID has taken over I have put on 3-4 stone and I have no energy or motivation to kick start myself back in a heathy way of living. These have worked for me in the past and I didn’t know how to get hold of them
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: ive seen my GP virtually but she just puts it down to the menopause (I’m 47). I’m not diabetic or have any underlying reason for this rapid weight gain apart from confidence. I have attended overeaters anonymous which assists my mental health but I need a kick start with the weight loss and I can then run with it
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No history of cancer, no history of mental illness or substance abuse. My mum and auntie are big ladies but they just accept it and I do t want that
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: Yes, including obs, a mental diary and a food diary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’ve paid the £5

Good morning, I am Dr Elliot. Tenuate dospan is unlicensed for weight loss and therefore should not be prescribed in the UK by a licensed doctor sorry. Ionamin has stock issues. However these are certainly last resort weight loss options.

What have you done so far to lose weight?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have run. I do yoga. I eat healthily. Sugar free drinks, mostly water. I’m so depressed that nothing is working. The wT less move more does t work. All the things that worked are now unlicensed. I never abused these tablets. They just worked. I’m so depressed

Thank you, ***** ***** how difficult this can be.

Did you mean to request a phone call?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it cost me £34 to talk to you

I am not sure of the price sorry as I do not see this. But yes they will charge to connect a phone call between us. This can be done over messaging and I can cancel the phone call request

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let’s continue over messaging please

No problems, let me just reject the call...

Done. Have you had investigations to start with, you mentioned menopause, early menopause is possible but weight gain is generally associated with this, is there any reason why they suggested this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My night sweats had been getting worse and worse and painful breasts as well. My periods are controlled with a marina coil. I had blood tests and were all within normal ranges. I was running 10 miles a week and run a half marathon last September. I was about 10 stone then. I’m not up for the skinny look. I just want to be comfortable in my skin. At the moment I hate myself. I am nearly 14 1/2 stone and I’ve never been this big. My thyroid has been tested and there is no explanation apart from I’m not running. I’m still doing yoga 7 days a week but to no avail. I need a kick start of medication the shows quick results for me to use for a short time to kick me back into running . I’m desperate. I’m so low

Okay thanks, ***** ***** running less would allow you to gain weight, but only if you have a calorie deficit. Have you addressed your nutrition?

The night sweats however do need investigating, you need to repeat your blood tests to check what your FSH is doing to exclude early menopause, you need a repeat thyroid function as a decreasing trend can be treat as per hypothyroidism, but if your FSH is normal, you need the night sweats investigated - full examination and a chest xray.

It is incredibly hard to maintain a healthy/calorie controlled diet when you lack of motivation.

Is there are reason why you have stopped running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on an HRT gel. All of theabove I do. I have a balanced diet, I don’t drink Alcohol or smoke. Can’t I just have a prescription of a slimming tablet that can work alongside all other suggestions. My weight is my biggest upset

Separate to those repeat investigations I have suggested, you need more support than you have. There are now Health trainers funded for GP practices which can start helping you with this motivation.

I am sorry but a slimming tablet is not the solution here, they are risky and not addressing the underlying problem will only allow you to lose weight with medication and return back to your problem weight if you were to stop them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I stopped running after a break up from my husband. He ran, we ran and I still have an emotional attachment to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please refund my £33 pound for a phone call we didn’t have. I shall await confirmation that this has been done

I see, a balanced diet is useful, but this is not calorie tracking, a balanced diet is not a diet for losing weight. There are free options such as MyFitness Pal you can download to start doing this, alternatively you have Weight Watches and Slimming World but these have quite different approaches.

You need to address the psychological issues first, otherwise this problem will persist for a long time.

I had cancelled the phone call, I will flag for customer services to check this and arrange a refund if so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks u

I have no control over billing sorry as I only see your question and don't even receive any details of your demographics other than your country of internet access

Have a chat with your GP - address the night sweats. This will have an impact on anyone. But not necessarily your weight. I would also ask for a Health Trainer referral. Unfortunately you will only source diet pills from the private weight loss sector. Not to say they are not available on the NHS, but you have to go through all the other options first

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know you have no issue over billing but I can’t pay the 33 pounds for this phone call ��

I will flag the refund now for you, but this closes this thread