Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I have pcos and want to ask about the best birth control

Hello, I have pcos and want to ask about the best birth control option I have
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I haven’t seen a doctor, and I am not on any medication
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: no medication or allergies
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: nothing
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I look forward to answering your question. The best birth control option for women with PCOS is always the birth control pill, a combination pill and not progesterone only. Please reply with questions and consider a positive rating. We are not compensated without a rating. thank you for using JA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will this pill damage my hormones in any way or make it more difficult for me to get pregnant later?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only pcos symptom I have is irregular periods which I’ve been regulating with exercise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will the pill make me gain weight?
The pill doesn’t damage anything. Its completely reversible and doesn’t affect your ability to conceive. Your pco may make it hard to conceive , not the pill. And no it doesn’t make you gain weight
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’ve heard that the pill also increases the risk of cancer and blood clots, is this true?
The pill does not increase your cancer risk unless you have a very strong history of breast cancer in your family and are over 30. It actually protects against ovarian cancer. Women on the pill 10 years or more have almost zero ovarian cancer risk. It only increase the risk of blood clots if you smoke. Please reply with questions and consider a positive rating. We are not compensated without a rating. thank you for using JA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you