Anthony Osula
Anthony Osula, Doctor
Experience:  MB ChB DRCOG
106915327

Blocked left nostril for months. Left eye watering, 6

Blocked left nostril for months. Left eye watering
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: 6 months
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My main concern is possible cancerous or non cancerous mass, the blocked nose is on and off throughout the day, but over night it blocks completely, when I blow my nose in the morning there is sometimes a small amount of blood
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The watery eye is worse during the evening and night, however, the vision through it always seems cloudy

Hi, thanks for your query.

Has anyone looked into your nostril or tried any treatments?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No one has looked, I have ent referral but no one is doing face to face at the moment, I have tried beconase, fluxonase and saline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot seem to get a consensus online for the main symptoms, which are blocked nose that gets worse, I don't understand if this means blocked 24/7 or consistently blocked for large portions of the day like mine

This sounds like a non-cancerous nasal polyp which is the most common cause of blocked nose on one side and can cause watery eyes if close to the sinuses.

I'm not sure how it is connected with your cloudy vision, have you done an eye test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done an eye test and everything was fine

ok, then thats reassuring,

what you need now is a nasoendoscopy - a small guide wire with a camera to look into the airways but I dont think there's cancer,otherwise 6mths it would have progressed by now

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have always had a large amount of asymmetry in my face and I took a large blow to the bridge of my nose around the same time it started, but my nose didn't break from an X-ray
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only other thing is on the left side, the actual nostril is hard, it doesn't feel like a lump but the cartilage has hardened when compared to the right which is soft
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im thinking of getting an MRI, will this be a good conclusive diagnostic tool to get to the bottom of it? It seems extreme but in light of the current crisis i have been waiting over 4 months to get seen with no news as yet
A ct scan would be more appropriate than an mri scan.
There's a long wait at present for ENT appts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any comments on the hardening of the nostril?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like too, however, I wish to go for less radiation, my GP advised against it if I don't need too. Will an MRI still be of use though, even if less appropriate?

Difficult to comment on hardening as thats subjective, I've felt what people described as hard to be actually soft but feels hard to them,

Could be a cyst or maybe calcified tissue from the blow to the nose but thats just presumption

CT scan us better for bony structures and MRI for soft tissues, An MRI would still help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i understand. All's I know is it's harder than the right, it almost seems as though the soft cartilage that forms the left nostril, just from near the entrance, is thicker than the right. It's not near the site of the blow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I upload MRI images to here for interpretation?

I'm not an expert at reading MRI of that area but when you do it, its usually reported by the radiologist anyway

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks

No worries, thanks for the feedback ratings