Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I’ve been suffering from really bad upper stomach aches and

Customer Question

Hello, I’ve been suffering from really bad upper stomach aches and extreme tiredness for nearly 3 years. Some of my symptoms are similar to stomach ulcers but the endoscopy readings came back negative. I have no vitamin deficiencies either. are you able to help? I am in a lot of pain
JA: How long have you been in pain? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: I don’t. I’ve been in pain for 3 years and the doctors and dietitians don’t know what’s wrong with me
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I’m intolerant to wheat, gluten, nuts and seeds. also
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello,I have had an on going issue with my stomach for 3 years, giving me bad pain, causing tiredness and dry skin and it is extremely limiting my diet.I have had quite a few tests done, all came back negative and have also done a lot of research and tried several supplements, but with no luck.Symptoms:Stomach ache - the higher abdomen area only and does not hurt anywhere else, pain does not radiate or affected by movement.
Dry skin on my face, around my eyes and hands, between my fingers (please see attached photos). The skin on my hands cracks sometimes, even though I moisturise frequently during the day. This of course helps but only temporarily.
The tips of my fingers swell a little too
Extreme tiredness.At times, I have burning sensation in my stomach but I do not have acid reflux and can never feel acid coming up my throat.
The main issue is the constant pain, not necessarily the burning sensation. Having said that, a lot of the time my symptoms are the same as if I had stomach ulcers, which I don’t have. But interestingly, omeprazole didn’t fix the pain. Although it did reduce the bloating.Tests that have been carried out on me - all came back with ‘normal’ results:Abdominal ultrasound scan - no gallstones
Gastroscopy - no ulcer / celiac disease / other pathology etc.
Normal peristaltic activity of the oesophagus
Biopsies taken also - all ok
Normal liver function
Appendix ok
No herniaPh and manometry studies - waiting for an appointment for thisBlood tests - all normal:
Helicobacter pylori bacteria
Full blood count, ferritin, B12, folate, calcium
Thyroid
AntibodySupplements I took over the last 2 years (not at the same time)Omeprazole - 20mg
Gaviscon tablets / liquid
Rennie tablets
Pepto bismol
Culturelle biotics - natural flora
Pro-Pen - Adult 25 billion - acidophilus & bifidus
Tumeric tablets
Slippery elm bark tablets
Lamberts Digestizyme (containing: lipase, amylase, protease 4.5, protease 3.0, glucoamylase, cellulase, bromeliad, papain)
Lamberts Betaine HCl with pepsin
Senocalm
Buacopan
Royal Jelly extract
Peppermint oil tablets
Peppermint powder
Noni juice 100% - Morinda Citrifolia
Specchiasol fermented papaya enzymesGeneral multivitaminsI have also had a 6 weeks break, when I was not taking anything, including vitamins, to check that it is not the supplements that are causing the issue.There are certain drinks / food I can definitely unable to have as they give me very bad pain, but I don’t think that I am allergic / intolerant to any of these things, my theory is that my stomach lining / microflora is so damaged / sensitive that my stomach is unable to handle anything that could be a little irritating?Caffeine - in any form
Chocolate - I believe this is due to the caffeine content?
Alcohol - all types
Garlic
Onions
Spices
Any diary products
Gluten free oats
Soya
Coconut
Coconut waterI’d also like to add that I have been on a wheat, gluten, nut and seed free diet for 20 years (due to intolerance) and happy to keep this diet. I have been a vegetarian in my entire life, this is by choice.I’m a non smoker and in general I only drink alcohol occasionally. Having said that, I have not been able to drink, even very small quantities in the last 2 years, without getting bad pain. It doesn’t matter the type of alcohol I drink either.
Although I’ve never been a big drinker, I miss having an odd glass of wine!
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 2 months ago.

Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, would you still like assistance with this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please!

Given your response on the prior question - I don't think so

I would advise you contact your GP

And work on that perfume. Have a lovely evening

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David

it sounds like certain foods exacerbate the pain.

you may be having esophageal wall spasms or cramping of your esophagus