M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
28778822

I have an iud paraguard for 8 years now, im 37. ive had two

i have an iud paraguard for 8 years now, im 37. ive had two stds test with negatives results in the past 60 days, why do i still have this thick discharge thats discolored?

Hi, what is the color of the discharge, and does it have a bad odor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greenish yellow. And sometimes. It’s also thick like
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No call please.

Ignore the call request, I am not sending it and I don't require it.

No bad odor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it’s an odor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since March I’ve been to see about it twice at urgent care and they done clymidia and gohnoreha tric etc. tests. They were negative. I’ve had a Paraguard since 2013 tho.

It's an unusual color for a normal discharge, and normally indicates an infection.

IUDs can produce PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) which can be bacterial, and not always due to STDs. To find out, the discharge can be cultured to find out what the bug is. The STD tests don't check for other bacterial infections.

IUDs also produce vascular changes in the uterus, and this in turn can produce discharge in varying amounts. If this is troublesome, and no other cause is found, the IUD is removed and it is observed if the symptoms resolve. Unfortunately that is the only way to find out, if other causes have been excluded.

Please let me know if you have any questions on the above?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
likely I need to go ahead and have it removed then? That’s pretty much what urgent care said last time I went to.

Yes, they are right. However the bacterial culture is important, since if you have had an infection of the uterus, it should not be re-inserted for 3 months.

Please click the 5 stars on your screen to give my answer a positive rating, thanks.