Dr.Andrew
Dr.Andrew, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Physician,Doctor, medical consultant
75931320

My daughter is 17 and has started spotting between periods.

My daughter is 17 and has started spotting between periods. Is that normal?
JA: The Obstetrician-Gynaecologist can help. To begin, apologies for the personal questions, but is your daughter using any contraceptives? When did her last period begin?
Customer: No, she's not sexually active. I don't know when her last period began but it was in the last few weeks.
JA: Thanks for that. OK, more personal questions coming up I'm afraid - when was her last smear test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discolouration, or unusual smells?
Customer: No but she hasn't had a smear test. She's only 17
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in her medical history the Obstetrician-Gynaecologist should know?
Customer: No. She doesn't know I'm asking.

Welcome to Justanswer.com

I am Dr.Andrew
The answers here are for education and information purpose only.
I'm reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Dr.Andrew

Dear customer

Please feel free to ignore any request for a phone conversation; the request is automated.

Please let me know the following information so that I can provide you the detailed answer:

For how long she has symptoms of spotting between periods?

Any irregularity in periods?

Dr.Andrew

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just for the last 3 cycles and her periods are regular

Dear customer

Thank you for staying online.

The symptoms you have described about your 17-year-old daughter of having spotting between her periods is nothing to worry.

It can be due to various causes.

The most common causes are stress, being overweight or underweight, imbalance of hormones, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).

Stress/anxiety is one of the most common causes that disturb the female menstrual cycle.

Hormonal imbalance is another common & probable cause.

Please stop worrying and be relaxed.

It is quite common to get such spotting in periods at a teenage.

At some point, as she will grow up, her cycle will probably settle into a recognizable pattern & this mid-cycle spotting should stop.

Mild hormonal fluctuation can cause this.

Please do not worry. There is nothing serious or dangerous about this. She just need to wait & watch.

Most of the time, simply decreasing your stress, improving nutrition, and adding adequate nutritional supplements can provide a natural way.

Eat healthy & nutritious.

Take a nutritious diet containing a good amount of iron, calcium, magnesium, multivitamins.

No need to worry at all. Such fluctuation can happen sometimes in girls’ life.

This will subside on its own.

Nothing to worry.

I hope this helped

I’d appreciate you rating my answers with the 5 stars on the top of your screen so I receive feedback and credit.

The bonus is highly appreciated.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com!

Dr.Andrew

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much.

Dear customer

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards
Dr. Andrew