Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have plaques in the throat, Quite severe, I had the same

I have plaques in the throat
JA: How severe is this?
Customer: Quite severe
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I had the same problem 3 minths ago and get infected
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tonsils stones, quite severe, had previous infection and hospital recovery, needed antibiotics but I have the GP in another postcode

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience. ​

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and sex?

Are these plaques on the tonsils?

Can you send a pic?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

You may get a message asking for a phone call, that is not sent by me but generated automatically by the website, you can ignore it if you choose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Age 27
Female
Red tonsils and little white stones on the backthroat
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (5S3Q3ZV)

Hello, please hold on, I am typing out your answer

You are having a tonsil stone, called a Tonsillolith.

Tonsil stones form in the crypts or indentations of the tonsils, due to accumulation of food.

They are not a risk.

Most tonsilloliths are asymptomatic and patients are not even aware that they have the stone.

Sometimes tonsilloliths can cause bad breath due to accumulation of food particles.

Sometimes also they can cause infection and this gives rise to the typical symptoms of tonsillitis like pain during swallowing, fever, etc.

If they are not causing a problem they need not be treated.

But if they are causing bad breath, or you feel uncomfortable, they can be removed.

Usually gurgling with warm saline water, or with Hydrogen peroxide gurgle, can remove the stones.

Sometimes they can be removed with the finger, and they can be removed by your doctor too with instruments.

If they are causing tonsillitis, then treatment is with antibiotics and other supportive treatment plus removal of stones.

You should not worry about this.

You should gurgle with Hydrogen Peroxide gurgle available OTC in pharmacies. This should be sufficient to remove them.

If they are not removed with this, and if you are having any symptoms like bad breath, then you should approach a doctor, preferably an ENT, to get this removed.

Recurrent tonsillar stones with symptoms are often treated by removing the tonsils through tonsillectomy, discuss about this with your doctor.

Take care - wish you good health and a quick recovery. Stay safe.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and helped you in knowing what to discuss with your doctor if required.

If my answer has helped you, please click on a four or five star rating from the rating bar of stars at the top or bottom of your chatbox. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credit for my work. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

Please note that rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know, I am sure I can help you further.
With regards,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.

I am just checking up on you. Did my answer help you? Do you have any other queries?
Please remember to rate my service with 5 stars from the rating bar of stars at the top or bottom of your chatbox if you are satisfied with my answer..

Without a positive rating, this session remains inconclusive.

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, I’ll rate your respons soon

Glad to help