Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I have a blocked right nostril, sudden deafness in right

Customer Question

I have a blocked right nostril, sudden deafness in right ear. Have been taking medication which doesn’t appear to be working. This is now causing a fuzzy head& a tingling upper body
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: not allergic to any medication. Am taking an hay fever nasal spray for blocked nose. Ear drops for ear, the occasional paracetamol & amitriptyline to try and help me sleep
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: not as I’m aware of
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for your question. How long have you had this? and what medication have you used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 5/6 weeks. An hay fever based spray for my nose & an olive oil based drops for my ears
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** duration makes an acute infection less likely, but if you have obstruction/inflammation on one side of the nose/sinuses, this causes an obstruction of your eustachian tube which is what helps equalise and drain any fluid from your middle ear, this would cause the deafness.

I would use a long term steroid spray for a month to assist with this, but I would also consider a weeks course of antibiotic to see if this speeds it up.

Expert:  Tim Brown replied 1 year ago.

You can get a spray from a pharmacist (decongestion rather than hayfever), but your GP would be able to prescribe you something stronger. If this does not improve then almost certainly worth getting someone to examine you. If you have had hayfever, then nasal polyps can also cause this - they can be benign, but should be assessed.

Expert:  Tim Brown replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, was my response of any help to you? THanks