Dr.Israr
Dr.Israr, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
29944350

My baby just had a VSD and ASD repair and when he came out

Hello my baby just had a VSD and ASD repair and when he came out of surgery he had a temperature of 38. He wasn’t unwell before this. Blood cultures and nasal swabs have all come back clear. He is still spiking temperature what could be going on it doesn’t make any sense to me if he has no infection or virus

Hello.

I am Dr. Israr and I will help you today.

I need little additional information before I can send you a helpful answer.

Is he still admitted? AND on antibiotics?

How is his blood CP report?

Any history of cough or flu?

Is he taking feeding?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he’s at GOSH
yes he has 2 different types of antibiotics but his blood cultures and nose swab is clear for infection although his CRP is 245. His temp keeps raising to 40 and he has to be sedated and put on a cooling blanket to bring his temp down. He had a chest infection 3 weeks ago from aspiration of milk and that’s it. With covid-19 going on he’s being shielded at home so he doesn’t go anywhere and he wasn’t unwell before his operation. Any advice would be really appreciated. He also has a pacemaker because his heart isn’t in rhythm but his blood pressure seems ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he’s been given any feeds yet he’s still intimated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
intubated

Okay and thanks for all the input.

Well fever and raise CRP shows that he has infection. Blood culture and even nasal swabs are only positive in 50 % cases despite the child has infection. So it is not necessary for cultures to be positives. That is why we perform other tests to confirm the presence of infection Like BLOOD CP AND CRP. Multiple cultures are done to detect bacterial or viral organism causing infection. It is common practice to treat infection despite blood culture are negative.

Regarding how he catch the infection..... Well hospital acquire infections are common in patients who are going for surgery despite all efforts to avoid infection. Other possibility is that he was having some infection but at the time of admission its incubation period was not completed so sign and symptoms of infection was not there.

I wish him early and speedy recovery. MAY GOD protect him.

Kindly let me know if you have any other query regarding this issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so so much I am truly grateful for your kind words and your time thank you again