Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I have a mouth ulcer and carnt get a dentist appointment

I have a mouth ulcer and carnt get a dentist appointment land I'm in so much pain what should I do
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: yes to both
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for your question. How long have you had this ulcer, and what have you tried for it so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 days pain killers

Thanks, ***** ***** used anything topical such as bonjela?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not I have been using oral gel and sorry I think it's an apses not an ulcer

I see, no worries. In that case it sounds like you will need some antibiotics. Unfortunately this should only come from a dentist as they need to assess if antibiotics is enough or if it needs draining

I can find you details to contact a dentist to arrange a review this week, alternatively if you call 111 you can access your local emergency dentist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the thing is I'm scared of dentist + that are very expensive and carnt afford it

Even an NHS dentist?

£22.70 for standard NHS dental review throughout the UK

£62.10 is then a flat fee if you need any surgical intervention, but I suspect you would only need the standard appointment. Do you claim any for of benefits?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its still a dentist I am petrified of them and thought that thay are not seeing anyone because of the covid situation

Who isn't....however I appreciate your concern. They officially re-open tomorrow

Plus, think of it this way, an early dental abscess is likely to be managed with oral antibiotics.

If you leave it, it would probably need draining - so more costly and something that could have been avoided.

A delay here may cause more cost, and more discomfort

You will probably find that they will manage this over the phone for you...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will probably lead to other problems as my teeth are really bad as I haven't seen a dentist since I was 16 now I'm 38 and so scared of them I know thay are probably lovely people but what thay might fined petrified me hence I have not been

No worries, well I can help you with finding one if you like. Otherwise best of luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok are nhs still taking on new patients

Always

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know were the nearest nhs dentist is to me please as I don't drive

No worries, I can help you with this, but most will probably offer to telephone triage for you. Please could you kindly rate my response so that JustAnswer acknowledge my response, I will then do a search for you to find NHS dentists which are still accepting NHS patients

If you could kindly click on the stars to rate my response, and either supply a post code or your nearest town. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ss178le

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-dentist/results/SS178LE

Use this link, check this is the correct address. These are a list of NHS dentists in distance from your postcode.

Call one of them tomorrow morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you so much wish me luck x
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to answer your question I do not clam benefits I am a chef and not working at the moment we have been put on folur at the moment and waiting for the go ahead to go back to work

Okay thanks, ***** ***** just thinking if there was away of claiming free dental care

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't mined paying as long as it's not much as I don't get my full wage at the moment and still have to pay Bill's thank you for your help