DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I had a 5th generation HIV antigen and antibody combined

I had a 5th generation HIV antigen and antibody combined test at 25 days post exposure. It was negative.I know conclusive results are after the first month, but can you tell me how clear I am? What percentage is this accurate at this time frame?

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

A negative result at 25 days post exposure is highly unlikely to convert to positive later

But you should still have another test just to be absolutely sure

But in my personal experience you will be negative in the repeat test as well

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In your professional experience, when do you see most people turn positive on 3rd and 4th generation tests?For instance if someone came to you and 100% knew when they had an exposure, when would you typically expect 3rd and 4th generation tests to pick it up?Thanks.

Usually it occur any time after the first two weeks

As I said very rarely a negative test at 4 week turn positive

You can say it is way less than 5% conversion after the first 4 weeks time period

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this 4+ week window similar 3rd generation antibody tests that are designed to detect igm and igg antibodies?

The test you used is more specific and sensitive than 3rd generation antibody test

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last question:
Would you expect a 6 week 3rd generation test IF I had one now to reliably detect infection?

Yes it will be quite reliable but if you do a 4th generation test it will be even more reliable

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor. You've been most helpful.

You are most welcome

If done please leave a 5-stars feedback rating