christos kasparis
christos kasparis, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Consultant Dermatologist
109039644

I've been c I've been getting this crawling sensation on my

Hey I've been c Hey I've been getting this crawling sensation on my legs mainly but no bite marks like and it's really itchy, I've had it for a couple of months now
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: About 2 months I didn't think anything of it at first but it's not going away, I put cream on, germaline helps but keeps coming back
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have pyelonephritis but doubt it would be connected to that
Hello I’m Dr Kasparis Dermatologist, please let me know if you still require help by chat or phonecall , many thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By chat please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By chat please it's too late to talk where I am

Thank you. I will ask you a couple ,more questions if I may. Is there anything you can think that may have started this? Do you wear any type of uniform for work? You mention there is no visible rash is that correct? Does the itch affect any other part of the body? Finally does it tend to be more noticeable at night or in the morning. Can you provide a photo of the skin on the legs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nothing that I can think of, no as I'm currently not working at the moment due to the lockdown, no there doesn't seem too be, mainly me legs but sometimes my back too, more at night definitely. Yes shall send you a photo now.

Thank you I will wait for the photo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (V2Z2S41)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There we go.

Thank you , I agree nothing really obvious. Itching without a visible red rash can either be due to general dryness of the skin in which case it needs regular hydration and moisturising or due to other factors internally in the body. The commonest one is low iron especially in women.

Given that there is no rash i would advise you to book a blood test (can be done after a telephone consultation with your GP) to check your pruritus (itching) screen- this includes your Iron levels, full blood count, thyroid test, kidney and liver tests. These may well come back fine but still need to be checked.

Regarding alleviating the itch, I would recommend using a moisturising cream containing an anti-itch called urea such as Eucerin cream or Flexitol 10% (not 25%) cream for regular use. An over the counter antihistamine such as clarityn (loratadine 10 mg) taken once a day regularly for 10-14 days can also be helpful. Avoid soap and bubble baths if you can for now until the issue resolves. Soap lotions such as sanex or simple are preferable to any other soap or shower gel.

I hope this helps. Let me know if any questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much that's great I shall try a cream then consult my doctor thanks again

Pleasure, have a good night (late here too!)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks that's great have a good night too