sofia khan
sofia khan, Doctor
Experience:  Consultant Family physician with special interest in dermatology at Rehman Medical Institute
101501929

I have this problem that when I try to exercise my body

Hello good morning, I have this problem that when I try to exercise my body itches a lot, even if I am going for a short walk, 3 minutes into my walk it becomes unbearable to the point I cry sometimes, and I'm not in a healthy weight and when ever I have this itches it discourages me from working out any futher
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: Since high school, if I see litters or dirty or dirty water it makes it worse, sometimes I use menthol on my body before I go out so that when it starts the heat reduces the itching , but it does not work like before
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No there's none

Thank you for contacting Justanswer.

My name is***** khan. I am board certified family physician with specialist training in dermatology. I shall try and help you today with your query.

Let me have a quick read through and I’ll get back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you

ususally icthing that happens with sweating, excercise or heat have got relation to the way your immune system works. there is a condition called "cholinergic urticaria", which presents this way. usually with a full-blown picture, you see some weals and hives as well. so whenever you body temperature goes up, a chemical called histamine is released which produces itching.Other things that increase your core body temperature can also cause it, such as:

• Exercise
  • Hot baths/showers
  • Fever
  • Occlusive dressings
  • Eating spicy foods
  • Emotional stress.

avoiding the trigger is ususally what is needed, however it may not be always possible .In many cases it is difficult to stop sweating, particularly in warm climates and if exercising is part of a daily routine. Sometimes rapid cooling can prevent an attack. For most patients, regular administration of an oral antihistamine such as cetirizine can be helpful in preventing the condition from arising.

fi that does not help either then a beta blocker called propranolol has been tried as well. you can discuss that with your GP.

I hope this answers your question.

If you are happy with the response, Can I ask you to take some time to rate the consultation? Your feedback is very important for my professional growth and also for the fact that until you have rated the consultation we do not get paid for our work.

This does not mean that your query gets closed after that. You can come back as many times as you like through the thread and ask me further questions regarding this problem.

Best wishes and good luck.

Dr Khan