How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Das, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4645
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Das, MD is online now

I have a prolapse which I have had for some time.. I

This answer was rated:

I have a prolapse which I have had for some time.. I received treatment with a pessary which controlled it quite well until January this year when I went to have the pessary replaced and it was stuck and the Nurses couldn't get it out. The lady Dr on duty just yanked it out and it bled and I couldn't have the replacement fitted. I am extremely uncomfortable and have a trouble with keeping dry. As yet I haven't had an appointment to have a new one fitted.
JA: The Obstetrician-Gynaecologist can help. To begin, how old are you? What symptoms are you having?
Customer: I am 90 and the symptoms are as I said - difficulty with control.
JA: Thanks for that. OK, more personal questions coming up I'm afraid - when was your last smear test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?
Customer: I haven't had a smear test for a long time. I have had a hysterectomy and this problem arose after that. Previously the pessary caused no trouble until the Dr pulled it out.
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Obstetrician-Gynaecologist should know?
Customer: No - I have had two children with no problems.


Are you still bleeding?

Do you have difficulty in holding your urine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not bleeding. Difficulty with holding urine mostly at night.

As you are aware, a prolapse can cause incontinence (difficulty in holding urine).

This is usually due to an abnormality in the bladder sphincter which become loose due to the prolapse.

Ideally a pessary is the best option at your age to hold up the uterus and prevent incontinence.

Till you manage to get an appointment, lease ask your doctor for medicines like oxybutynin (Ditropan XL), tolterodine (Detrol) and darifenacin which relaxes the bladder muscle and can increase the amount of urine your bladder can hold.

This will decrease your incontinence to some extent.

I hope this helps.
Please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.

Dr. Das, MD and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you