Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I sustained a head injury 8 May and have been feeling a bit

I sustained a head injury 8 May and have been feeling a bit dizzy since then, particularly when moving my head to the left. GP says no neurological damage but reluctant to order scan. Had dizzy spell this morning and fell over, hitting my head on hard floor and have a swelling again on the left side of my head. Getting a little concerned
JA: The Neurologist can help. To begin, any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: Today's injury, for a couple of hours. The previous injury, the swelling went down the same day but my head was very tender to the touch, and still is, of course, especially now
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Neurologist should know?
Customer: I had a cancerous melanoma removed from my calf, which entailed removing muscle too, and wondered if this has caused a change in my balance?

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience. ​

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and sex?

How long do the dizzy spells last? Are they intense lasting for a few minutes only or a more constant dizziness?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

You may get a message asking for a phone call, that is not sent by me but generated automatically by the website, you can ignore it if you choose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Female. DoB 02/07/47 Dizzy when moving head up or to the left and resting head in bed lying on back or left side. Feel balance is off most of the time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Text or email is fine

Ok, I have your reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer.

The phone request is generated automatically by the site, its not from me.

There are two possibilities here, the first is BPPV and the second is a subdural hematoma.

Subdural hematoma is common in those after 70 after even a slight injury.

Since you had a fall and injured your head, and you are having symptoms till now, you definitely need a scan to rule this out.

I feel that your GP in fact should have ordered it then.

The fact that you had a second fall makes it even more important.

You should go to your GP at once and ask for a CT scan for this to be excluded.

The second possibility, which is more benign, is BPPV or benign positional paroxysmal vertigo.

This occurs commonly after a fall due to a dislocation of the balancing organ in the ear, the vestibule.

This can be controlled by medicines and adaptation exercises.

You now need to consult your GP and discuss about these two causes, subdural hematoma and BPPV. You should insist on a CT scan.

Meanwhile you should do some adaptation exercises for your dizziness, you can look up here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olgEtOKAGaI

Take care- be safe - note down these points and see your doctor and discuss with him/her - this will enable you to get an informed discussion leading to the best possible outcome.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need with 5 stars from the rating bar of stars at the top or bottom of your chatbox. We are paid only when a positive rating is given.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.