DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

My son has developed a tic ‘shoulder shrug’ within the past

My son has developed a tic ‘shoulder shrug’ within the past week. Should I be worried?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: As it has just been prevalent this past week haven’t managed to speak with a doctor. The severity of the tic seems to be getting worse.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, no prevalence of Tourette’s syndrome within the family.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

How old is he ?

Is this the first time he has this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son Austin is 5 years old, turning 6 in November.I have been in contact with the doctor in previous weeks as he developed similar symptoms that I had which was constant throat clearing approximately between 8 & 10 weeks ago. At first we thought it might have been asthma related symptoms as I have asthma so trailed him on an inhaler for a week. And I was prescribed acid reflux tablets and a stronger inhaler. As the inhaler was improving Austin’s symptoms only slightly, the doctor thought it may be allergies to our dog as she malts pretty bad and/or pollen count so told us to take piratin morning an night. Over the course both our symptoms subsided, but literally this last week he have developed almost a sort of constant jerk with his shoulders. I’ve tried seeing if anything triggers it, but it seems to be pretty consistent at the minute.

Thanks for the details

These symptoms can be due to tics

I think you need to monitor it for another week or so

If they continue like this then he may need treatment to control these tics

Some time they can be due to stress or anxiety and that must be ruled out as well

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, that’s what all the research points towards.Will the probable outcome be mostly a transient tic?I was just concerned that it may be Tourette’s syndrome, but is this disease-rare and mostly genetic?The other worrying research suggest it may be related to PANDAS or PANS is this too early to diagnose?Luckily, I think they have a good outcome with tics becoming mild or even disappearing almost all together.

I think it is likely to go away and at this time it i s hard to say if it will evolve into anything

As it has already started to subside so I think you should not worry about it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you for you guidance.We’ll monitor it over the next couple of weeks/months to see if there is any change. Also, watch for any triggers etc.Regards.

You are welcome

If done please leave a 5-stars feedback rating