Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I was diagnosed with Crohns Colitis in March, my

I was diagnosed with Crohns Colitis in March, my gastroenterologist wanted me to start immune suppression tablets after Covid, I’m wanting to know if there are and natural way I could help put myself into remission without having to go on medication for years?I’ve been told diet change from normal to vegetarian/vegan could make a huge impact?Thanks

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for you message. I am sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with Crohn's. However the important thing with Crohn's is preventing and limiting the number of flare ups you get, as this can result in needing bowel surgery. If it wasn't for that, then I would say try and manage this with diet alone.

Immune suppression does not need to be lifelong and may be helpful for episodes and aim to suppress it.

This is more so as it is an inflammatory condition, certainly some dietary changes will help but may not be sufficient.

I appreciate that is a very medical approach, but worth considering.

https://patient.info/doctor/crohns-disease-pro#nav-5

Try this link for more information about profressional guidance to its management

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok

Is this of any help to you? You can request a referral to a nutrionist and dietician via the NHS that I would also suggest unless you have already

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With an immune suppression medication they take months to work? So if I don’t take them and don’t have a flare up when I do have a flare up what happens as the medication takes longer to work? My symptoms of crohns are so mild but my calprotectin was very high on my tests

They work rather quickly. I think with high calprotectiin is the risk of flare ups. It is likely you wouldn't need them for long.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have another question on a different issue, should I start a new question?

If you could please, you can submit it to all or request myself to reply. I will be offline for the next hour but will be back after.