Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

If a baby was born with Trisomy 21 and had an echo the day

If a baby was born with Trisomy 21 and had an echo the day after he was born that showed a moderate sized PDA and PFO so he was planed to have a review within 3-4 weeks however the appointment didn’t get made despite the parents ringing for it every week to be told they’d chase it up and never did and his paediatrician failed to examine the baby after the parents raised concerns about his respiratory rate and falling asleep during feeds and still didn’t make the appointment for his follow up to then the baby becoming blue and unresponsive and rushed to hospital to find out he then had a large VSD, large ASD and a large PDA and in heart failure would you agree this is clinical negligence and the babies heart failure could have been prevented if the appointment was kept and the dr paid more attention to the concerns? The baby then had a prolonged stay in hospital after catching a cold and the excessive blood flow caused him to need support with optiflow for 6 weeks before he could have his operation needed because they wouldn’t do surgery until he had no infection which then lead him to have pulmonary hypertension. Would you agree that if correct monitoring would have taken place in the beginning this would have been avoided and his heart condition could have been managed with diuretics and he could have had the needed op sooner? Sorry I hope that makes sense. Basically the dr and hospital could have prevented this trauma for this baby

I have answered your previous query as well, the answer to almost all your questions is YES, many of the problems were avoidable or at least could have been reduced in intensity with proper an earlier follow-up.

The only thing that cannot be said for sure is about pulmonary hypertension, that can sometimes happen even after following protocols,

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is appreciated. A TIP would be even better! If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Warm Regards,
Dr. Gupta, MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello so sorry I just wanted to get more opinions and it’s so distressing for me. I now suffer from PTSD from finding my baby lifeless and my health has deteriorated. I have gone from being so independent and confident to a mess who takes the highest dose of sertraline and I need diazepam to help me calm down at times. I feel like the hospital are also responsible for my PTSD. Would you agree?

You could frame it like that, at the end of the day, you need to take the positive out of any situation, and take it forward,

From the Serenity prayer ...
"Grant to us the serenity of mind to accept that which cannot be changed; courage to change that which can be changed, and wisdom to know the one from the other,"

Sorry if this is NOT a medical answer, more a philosophical one, but I do hope it helps,

Warm Regards,
Dr. Gupta, MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. This is probably the most perfect answer you could have given me. Thank you I am truly grateful
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
God bless you