Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have been sick on and off for a couple days now, but also

Hi there, I have been sick on and off for a couple days now, but also have abdominal pain and extreme bloatinf
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Iv had this on and off for months now. In March I ended up in hospital with a ruptured cyst. They had found it with a scan and it was 4cm
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: iv done pregnancy tests, but they always come back negative. I have extremely irregular periods and Iv been trying to conceive for nearly 4 years now and nothing

What did your hormonal blood work show?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It showed normal levels of hormone

Your doctor may consider giving you Clomid which induced ovulation and help in conceiving.

Your abdominal pain warrants a CT scan of the abdomen for the evaluation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just don’t find they take me seriously, but being sick and the bloating along with pain is getting extremely worrying now

I agree, that your symptoms are significant. Only medical imaging like CT scan or MRI of the abdomen can help ascertain the cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last time I went (leading up to the hospital actually finding a 4cm cyst on my ovary) the doctor gave me omeprazole. That was it...but I persevered and made them take me seriously. Could it come back?

Cysts may come back but there can be other causes too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me some examples?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was starting to think it could be ectopic as they don’t always show on a test?

Causes can be;

Diverticulitis

Endometriosis

Pelvic inflammatory disease

Omental torsion

Subacute intestinal obstruction

Gallbladder diseases.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should get my doctor to call me to see what they suggest?

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They will no doubt just tell me it’s a stomach bug and to take it easy for a couple days :(

You have to insistent on the intensity of your symptoms.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

Stay safe,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NP called me and I went and dropped off a urine sample, so we shall see what comes of it. But your right I need to insist. Something is not right and it hasn’t been for months. I have really irregular periods also. Is there any other advice you can give?

Apart from medical imaging we discussed, you need to the following also;

1) LH, FSH, prolactin, thyroid function tests, androgens, estradiol, insulin.

2) Complete blood counts

3) Comprehensive metabolic panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can ask them, they did all the blood tests in March :( but didn’t show anything. Could they have changed?

This is almost 6 months and since your symptoms are persisting, these need to be repeated.

Investigations when repeated may show abnormality even when the first time everything was normal.

What are the choices; investigate again if the symptoms are persisting.

Do nothing despite the symptoms are persisting as the first screening was normal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope the doctor agrees with you then. I can’t go through this much longer. I’m always tired, lethargic, my tummy is always bloated even though I’m trying to do walks/exercise.

Yes, this is the protocol. If the initial investigative protocol is negative and diagnosis is not achieved, further workup is needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Agreed. So they are giving me a 3 day antibiotic course to see if there is an underlying infection, see if that helps. If not Iv to call back later in week. Does that sound like good advice?

This sounds good.

Hopefully, this resolves your symptoms.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.