M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
28778822

I had a call appointment with a doctors about my periods and

I had a call appointment with a doctors about my periods and just had a couple questions as they seem to be very irregular
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: Yes over the last couple days I have had some bad abdominal pain and I haven’t had a period in over a year but they have never been regular
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Hi, I will try and assist you. Are you on any type of birth control?

Any condition in which your normal hormonal balance is upset, can cause you to miss your period. Some common conditions that can do it are stress/anxiety, weight changes, travel and over exercise. Normally the period comes back on its own.

If you don't have your periods for a prolonged time, then we can do some tests to check what exactly the hormonal problem is.

Blood tests and an ultrasound are done. After common conditions like polycystic ovarian syndrome and thyroid disorders (hypothyroidism) are excluded, some of the blood tests that are done are : FSH, LH, estradiol, 17 hydroxyprogesterone, and prolactin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a scan a couple months back for polycystix ovarian syndrome and nothing showed up and am not on any birth control
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven’t had any other test

Ok, the blood tests are also important to find out the cause. Just a scan is not enough.

They differentiate menstrual abnormalities and conditions in which there are excessive androgens, which could mimic polycystic ovarian syndrome. I think they may not have done the blood work due to Covid, but now they are opening up.