Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

Had h pylori, which I eradicated with antibiotics did

Had h pylori, which I eradicated with antibiotics did another stool test 5 weeks later which came back negative...took me 6 weeks to start to feel normal again after the treatment, with a clean diet and loads of probiotics...stopped the probiotics 2 weeks ago, and now few days ago some symptoms like bloating, stomach ache and cramps and mild diarrhoea in the morning and nausea after eating food....is this normal and does it take some time for my gut to get back to it's best..?

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for your question. The first issue with H.Pylori is tests are often negative after initial treatment, this can be the case for a few months so are not that reliable. It is a PPI that can given a false negative result. However it is there best to go on symptoms.

Are you currently taking a PPI such as Lansoprazole or Omeprazole?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No after my antibiotics treatment I stopped taking PPIs, I went on taking probiotics...most of my main symptoms had gone after antibiotics treatment...only had some stomach discomfort and acid reflux...then I started to feel better again...this has only stated to happend a few days ago...I dont want to take PPIs as they give me anxiety and depression...should I take another course of antibiotics or is this normal to have some of these symptoms after successful eradication..?

I see, thank you for your explanation. This can be normal yes, but I would consider taking something to help. An alternative to PPIs is Cemetidine (Ranitidine is currently unavailable).

If you did not have reflux symptoms previously, and was positive for H.Pylori, I would probably consider retesting again and repeating the eradication treatment.

If you had reflux before, I would try something like Cemetidine for 2-4 weeks and review your symptoms after this.

Please let me know if this is of any help. Thanks

https://patient.info/doctor/helicobacter-pylori-pro

This may be of some use to you, it is a professional guidance on H.Pylori

Have a chat with your doctor in the morning and get something started, I hope this settles down for you soon, best of luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did have reflux before...but when I had h pylori the pain and symptoms were much worse than this now, I was bleeding from mouth then aswel which stopped after treatment...I was feeling great again a few weeks back, this happend a few days ago suddenly after my evening meal...I got bloated, and had mild stomach ache...I also notice that when I pass wind or goto the toilet to relieve stools I feel better...and I didnt have diarrhoea before treatment or after, and since yesterday iv got mild diarrhoea....

I would therefore take the eradication therapy again with the antibiotics

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Usually after treatment how long does it take for patients to feel normal again? Or were they can eat what ever they want like usually they do?

You would expect a few weeks for it to resolve, but it is uncommon that a second line eradication therapy is necessary to treat it.

But yes, following successful eradication your diet should be able to return to normal, but some need to continue a medication like a PPI for several months

I am very sorry but I am about to sign off as it is late. Have a chat with your GP in the morning. But don't leave it as you still shouldn't have symptoms.

Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor...take care..

You to, please could you kindly rate my response if you have chance, many thanks