DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I have been drinking heavily for over a year now and know I

Hi, I have been drinking heavily for over a year now and know I need to stop. On occasion I can get through a whole bottle of rum. Just recently I have been getting strong alcoholic shakes for the first time accompanied by sweating, dizziness and heavy breathing. Withdrawal has caused immense anxiety and stress. Up and till a few months ago I was starting to vomit occasionally during drinking sessions. Today I had a major withdrawal attack and thought about ringing for an ambulance but I don’t want to waste the Paramedics precious time what with the Coronavirus and everything. Tonight I also seemed to be getting pauses in heartbeat (I hope my liver does not fail) which has caused me to have dreadful visions of heart failure.My heart was monitored by doctors last year and came back fine (a little fast maybe because of the alcohol. My bloods showed last year I had a slight abnormality of the liver. This was taken again earlier on this year which showed good improvement. I am currently taking anti anxiety medication and have tonight taken 40 mg Propanalol. I will stop drinking but I was wondering if this is something serious to worry about? Will my heart fail? Many thanks.Shaun Green

Hello Shaun! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

How frequent are these pauses in the heart beat?

Do you have chest pain or shortness of breath?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No chest pain no shortness of breath. Slight dizziness. I would say I’ve had two today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don’t have access to a phone right now.

Thanks for the details

You most likely have benign premature ventricular contractions

That can give a feeling of missed beat

This occur with alcohol use

You should have an ECG to look for the exact rhythm abnormality

But usually these are not serious

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this sound serious to you or does this sound like a typical alcohol withdrawal story doctor?

Yes it seems a typical withdrawal syndrome and nothing serious

If done please leave a 5-stars feedback rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last thing. I drank a 700 ml bottle of whiskey (the devil’s drink) last night and have a 300 ml bottle of rum in my fridge. As I’ve already stated I took about 40 mg propanalol tonight already. I was told by doctors last year not to come of straight away but to slowly bring it down over a week or so. Each day reducing the intake till it’s nothing. Should I drink a reduced amount tonight?

Yes you can in order to avoid withdrawal symptoms

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor you’ve been very helpful!