Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I've had a patch of red bumps appear on my lip in last hour,

Hi I've had a patch of red bumps appear on my lip in last hour
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the bumps better or worse?
Customer: Literally just the last hour
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience. ​

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and sex?

Are the bumps itchy?

Can you send a pic?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

You may get a message asking for a phone call, that is not sent by me but generated automatically by the website, you can ignore it if you choose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
38
Male
Not itchy allow now irritated as I've been rubbing at them.
I have pictures but dont know how too attach

Please send the pictures using the paperclip icon that you see at the top of the chatbox

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have a paperclip icon

Look at the top of your chatbox. The bar at the border of where you type, where there are also icons to make the font bold or in italics, etc. The last icon is a paperclip icon.

at the upper border of where you type

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no icon, the box I type in is white with a blue surround, the send button is orange, theres no paperclip or any icons nor is there anywhere on the screen

Ok, perhaps it appears differently on your device. Please hold on while I type out your answer

If you have had recent physical contact, this could be bumps from a herpes infection. This could also be true if you have had herpes before. Oral bumps from herpes are not serious and usually do not need any treatment.

If herpes is ruled outm then this is likely to be due to an allergic reaction.

Check out whether you have started any new medications. Also try to recall any new foods that you took, specially foods like nuts, some new types of meat, fish, etc. You could be having a food allergy. You should also watch out for any new soaps or detergents.

It could also be an allergic reaction to an insect bite.

If you find anything which could have caused the allergy, then you have to avoid it. However, quite as often, no definite cause of such allergic reactions can be found, do not worry if this is so.

Meanwhile take Cap. Claritin (OTC) 1 cap. daily, this will help with the bumps. Also apply 1% Hydrocortisone cream (available OTC) on the bumps.

However, if the bumps persist, see your doctor.

Take care - wish you good health and a quick recovery. Stay safe.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and helped you in knowing what to discuss with your doctor if required.

If my answer has helped you, please click on a four or five star rating from the rating bar of stars at the top or bottom of your chatbox. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credit for my work. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

Please note that rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know, I am sure I can help you further.
With regards,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No physical contact, no new foods. Can pictures be sent via email?

If there is no physical contact, then it would be an allergy.

It might not necessarily be foods, it could be due to an insect bite.

Take the Claritin and Hydrocortisone ointment, the bump should go down with this.

Email addresses cant be exchanged here I am afraid, thats a site policy.

But try with this, this sounds very like an allergic reaction, you will get relief with this.

If my answer has helped you, please enter a 5 star rating from the rating bar of stars at the top or bottom of your chatbox.. If you dont see it, you can go to your email and come back through the link.

We are paid only when a positive rating is given. Without a positive rating, this session remains inconclusive.

Bonus is always welcome Thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It almost looks similar too a heat rash if means anything

Ok, that makes it more likely to be allergy. Allergic rashes are very similar to a heat rash, the pathophysiology is the same.