sofia khan
sofia khan, Doctor
Experience:  Consultant Family physician with special interest in dermatology at Rehman Medical Institute
101501929

I have a spot on my gum and I’m having a breakdown over it I

I have a white spot on my gum and I’m having a breakdown over it I suffer from severe health anxiety
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: since today yesterday I had a weird taste on my lip and then my gum was itchy now I have this Iam in amoxcillian for a tooth infection at the back of my mouth this spot is from of my gums I can send pics
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: my mother does of eshopgul cancer died
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can send pictures

Thank you for contacting Justanswer.

My name is***** khan. I am board certified family physician with specialist training in dermatology. I shall try and help you today with your query.

Let me have a quick read through and I’ll get back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

please send me the pictures and also give me a brief back ground. how old are you? male or female? are you a smoker?

any pain burning etc currently with this spot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Female 31 never smoked in my life
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (7VL5353)

Ok bear with me.

right! Ok, is this the little white spot on your lower gum on the left side that we are talking about?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

does it feel sore?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just my gums are itchy

Ok, This appears to be something called apthous ulcer or a canker sore.

following are the common causes for this :

• Emotional stress and lack of sleep
  • Mechanical trauma, for example, self-inflicted bite
  • Nutritional deficiency, particularly of vitamin B, iron, and folic acid
  • Certain foods, including chocolate
  • Certain toothpastes; this may relate to sodium laureth sulfate (the foaming component of toothpaste)
  • Menstruation
  • Certain medications,
  • Viral infections.

I can understand your anxiety around your maternal history of cancer, however, this sore is not related to cancer. It has a very short history and a straight forward cause of you having a tooth abscess and being run down with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it dosnt look like mouth cancer or that

Not at all. mouth cancers do not suddenly appear overnight. you are not a smoker , which is further reassuring.

These sores can also come back from time to time due to the same factors as mentioned above. some people are more prone to it.

if its not painful you may just leave it alone, other options are bonjella gel, lidociane cream or antibacterial mouth wash that you can try to have it healed quickly.

any ulcer which is non-healing and persisting should be seen further generally. Give it about a week to 10 days.It should go away on its own.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would this cause my gums to be itchy too

you are welcome.

yes it can cause itching, so you might want to try the lidocaine cream or a mouth wash for that.

I hope this answers your question.

If you are happy with the response, Can I ask you to take some time to rate the consultation? Your feedback is very important for my professional growth and also for the fact that until you have rated the consultation we do not get paid for our work.

This does not mean that your query gets closed after that. You can come back as many times as you like through the thread and ask me further questions regarding this problem.

Best wishes and good luck.

Dr Khan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ever so mich

thank you. have a good day.